Chapter Nine: Plunderers

We landed close to the palace, but still a good distance away. I didn't want anyone to see Jisoo de-transform out in the open. The shimmering light formed around her again, this time shrinking instead of growing. She returned to her human self, her hair a bit jostled from all the flying we had done.

Shockingly, seeing a dragon transform into a human was the least surprising thing I'd seen. Towards the castle, a swarm of dragons were roaring and breathing fire in the direction of the palace. It looked like a lot of the castle had been burned and many of the occupants had run out into the streets, including the king. I knew it was far too dangerous to go out there, but I didn't want the entire town to be in ruin.

"Holy cricket." Jisoo's eyes widened. "You don't suppose they're nice dragons, do you?"

I shook my head. "How could they? They're destroying the castle!"

"We have to stop them," she said determinedly.

"Princess, it isn't that simple," I cautioned. "They're far bigger than us and can breathe fire."

"So can I." She folded her arms.

I turned to her, my eyebrow raised. "Jisoo, you can't be serious. It's way too risky."

"Well, I can't just sit here and do nothing!" she yelled. "That's all princesses do! I'm sick of it! That's my father over there. That's my home. I can't let it burn away."

I sighed loudly. "I just don't want you getting hurt. Those dragons are extremely dangerous."

"You thought I was extremely dangerous too, at first glance," she said, then gripped my hand. "Please. Give me a chance. I want to prove that I'm worth something. That I'm not just a token pretty girl."

"Do you seriously think that?" I cupped her cheek. "Jisoo, you're the bravest girl I know. You're strong, you're smart, and you're caring. You don't need to prove your worth. I traversed through those woods for four days just to find you. You know why? Because you're worth everything to me."

Her lips curled into a smile. "You mean that?"

I nodded. "Every word."

She leaned in to give me a quick kiss, which tasted much sweeter than I expected. I didn't want the feeling of her kisses to ever go away. It was far too beautiful and pure. She was far too beautiful and pure. I loved her. I truly loved her and as much as I hated the thought of losing her, I knew that this was what she wanted. It would make her happy, which in turn would make me happy.

"Lisa." She leaned her forehead against mine. "No matter what happens in there, know that I love you. Damn, I love you so much."

"I love you too, Jisoo," I replied. "We'll get through this, okay?"

She nodded. "Okay."

The glittering magic returned that was too captivating to look away from. Even though she'd only attempted it a few times, Jisoo was getting better at channeling her abilities. Months ago, I had no idea that the girl I was in love with was a shapeshifter. It was so cool and amazing to witness her change from such a petite, pastel princess to a strong, fearsome dragon.

"You ready?" she asked, her body now fully transformed.

I nodded and hopped on her back. She took off to the castle, nearing its entrance. I gripped her tightly, not because I was scared to fall, but because I wanted to cherish these moments I had with her. I was so scared that the other dragons would hurt her. I didn't want them to ever go near my princess.

I heard a chorus of loud screaming coming from below, and I soon realized that we were hovering above the citizens of the palace. All of them were there. The king, Namjoon, Yoongi, Taehyung, and Jungkook. They all seemed terrified, and I think I knew why.