Impress or Suppress?

Everything appears different to each and every one of us. That concept applies especially on art. Abstract paintings, even though they look like mess, show a very deep meaning or emotion that the painter wants to portray.

Knowing the colors help interpret these meanings.

The empty box thudded loudly as it fell to the ground. My garage was a mess. I cursed as a glass jar dropped on my foot. Good thing it didn't break.

"Faye! What is going on there!?" Andrew, my cousin who works as a librarian at my new school Hue International, shouted from outside.

"You know it's Saturday today, right?" I shouted back. I continued picking up my old brushes and pieces of paper.

"I know. What are you really doing anyway?" Andrew asked, entering the garage turned studio.

"Looking for my canvas." I replied simply. I kept shuffling rolls of paper and plastic on the shelves.

"Hmmm. It is true what they say. Artists are messy." Andrew commented, gesturing to the floor. I playfully slapped his arm. He grinned at me.

He walked around the room and picked up a large box. He opened the lid and pulled out a roll of canvas. I grabbed it from him, walked towards my easel and attached it.

"'thank you'?" Andrew said while I grabbed a couple of brushes and paint and dabbed black paint all over the canvas.

"Your welcome." I grinned to myself and I opened a bottle of neon yellow paint.

"Wow. Pretty yellow!" Andrew shrieked like a little girl and jumped up and down. I laughed at his childish antics.

He kept staring at me like he would cry then he grinned at me.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked as I lined my borders with the yellow paint then I let it dry for a while.

"You should enjoy yourself more often, Faye. You deserve it." He said. Now he sounds like an overprotective and proud dad. By the way, he doesn't know about the bullying, too.

"Thanks, Andrew. I appreciate you worrying for me but it's not really necessary." I flicked more yellow paint on the canvas.

"You know this is the first time I've seen you paint something like this." Andrew commented.

"Change. We all need it. Besides, this is going in my new room." I said. Last weekend I decided to change my room. I asked Dad for money for more paint and decorations. I painted my whole room a light blue and green that gives off a fresh feeling. Then I painted a mural of the sky on one side of my walls and a garden of flowers on the other side by my bed. The dark painting I was doing would go well with the contrast I was trying to do.

"Oooh. A new modern look. Well I visited today because my mother asked me to ask your mother if she received her package from Brazil." Andrew said, picking up one painting I made of my two brothers.

"Apparently, she's not here."

"And so is the rest of my family. They went to a birthday party in the city. I refused to go." I said. I placed the brush on the table. I started straightening the boxes and paint jars on the shelves.

"Well, you always do. I guess I'm going then. Tell your Mom I stopped by. And smile more why don't you." Andrew said, dropping my car keys on the table before leaving.

I sighed. Andrew cares for me like an older brother. For a 28-year-old librarian, he can relate to my problems and he helps me if he can.

I picked up the keys and tossed it in a corner somewhere. I grabbed my brush and concentrated on the painting.

~~~

I pushed my way through the building crowd in the Auditorium. It was announced that there was a school assembly so all the students came rushing to avoid the scolding of Mrs. Allorick, the strictest teacher in the whole school system.

"Ms. Adams, I am so glad you are here. Please hurry up now." Mrs. Allorick said when she spotted me. I nodded my head silently then rushed to a seat somewhere in the middle.

The Auditorium was a huge, air-conditioned space that can accommodate about 500 students. The place has no permanent seats arranged but monobloc chairs are brought in for assemblies. The walls are painted a dark red velvet color that makes it feel like a theater. A huge crystal chandelier hung at the very center of the room. It was built for events like these and sometimes the school hosts galleries for aspiring artists.

"Ms. Adams, the director wants you to sit at the front row." A faculty member said, pulling me with him. I followed as quickly as I can.

"Faye!" Blaire Simmons greeted me as I took a seat beside her. I acknowledged her then looked away. The blonde-haired girl beside me was perusing her phone. Her name was Alexis Steam, and we were classmates in 2 classes. She was very smart and very well-reserved. She was polite and charming, too. She dresses moderately and she usually wears skirts and blazers. Her long brown hair was usually pulled up in a loose bun with strands of hair framing her face.

"Hello Faye. Good seeing you here." She greeted me without looking up from her phone.

"Hi. They made me sit here." I replied quietly.

She didn't reply. I stared up the stage. The director stood up and approached the microphone.

"Good morning everyone. I called on all of you here because I have a very special announcement." Director Edmund Alexander said, gaining everyone's attention.

"This year, we decided to do a gallery showcase which will also be a contest. International professionals will be here to see your work. The board has already picked out the aspiring artists who will be showcasing their work. We have Alexis Steam, Jose Ramirez, Blaire Simmons, Faye Adams and Brian Wolfe. Let's give them a round of applause. Thank you. Everyone is invited to submit individual creations for the last 5 spots in the gallery. Our theme is Impress. We are hoping that each one of you will give this event your best effort. Those who will not be chosen to create the main pieces for the gallery will be organized to committees for the event day. But don't worry. There will be other opportunities like this soon. That would be all kids. Good luck to everyone."

I remained seated as Director Alexander walked off the stage. Blaire congratulated me and left.

Negative thoughts ran through my mind as I thought about what could happen to me in this competitive school if they will consider me as a threat to their success. I just want this damn show to be over.

~~~~~~

Heeellllooooo! So I just wanted to say thank you to those who dared to read my story. I don't know the aporopriate category for this story so if you guys help me out there.

Aaaannnnddddd BTW the quotes I write at the start of the chapters sometimes don't coincide with the actual story. They are mostly the thoughts Faye has running inside her head. I'm also editing everything again and again so don't be surprised if you have to go back to the previous chapters again. Okay? :)

That's all for now I guess. See ya later, darlings!

Loves loves,

Rob