New Friends

Each shade of paint you apply on a painting adds a different flavor, a different feeling, a different interpretation. Just like life, every thing we do results in a different consequence. We have no choice but to live with it. Unlike paint, we can't just apply another layer to erase the mistakes, the errors and the damages.

"People just don't understand. I mean, what with this gallery, the damn prom and my Dad expecting me to finish my college applications early. It's all so stressful!" Blaire whined. She sat down on the plush couch in the conference room. It was a huge room with a 12-seater long table at the center. The floor was carpeted and the walls were soundproof. The couch was set near the back exit of the room. That morning Director Alexander announced that the gallery show participants should meet up at the conference room for the show format.

So Blaire, Alexis, Jose, Brian, and I were waiting for the director to arrive. Blaire was whining that she was stressed enough already. Alexis was just sketching in her sketchpad. Jose was typing away in his laptop. I was sitting on the table just waiting when Brian sat beside me.

"Hey Faye, look at this." He had a coin on his palm then he did one of those magic tricks where he made it disappear. I laughed at him when his eyes grew wide with excitement.

"Neat trick, Houdini."

"What? That trick was hard to master." He did one of those childish pouts. I laughed some more.

"Yeah, yeah. Laugh all you want. So, I heard you only transferred this year." He said.

"Um yeah. I really wanted to go here. It's the best here."

"I know. I'm actually attracted to this place because of its architecture program."

"Really? I thought you were a painter?"

"Yeah, well. I have it as a hobby but my main focus is on buildings and architecture"

"Well, Painting has always been my passion. My parents wanted me to take Law but well, they can't force me."

"Yeah. Being a doctor would be good, too. The A-class jobs. I just don't get why they like those kinds of jobs."

"Yeah."

He looked at me funny then smiled.

"You know, you look so lonely. Why's that?"

"I just . . . I don't . . ." I looked down at my hands awkwardly.

"Hey. It's alright. I mean, it's no problem." He grinned at me. I looked at him sadly.

"I'll be your friend so that you won't be lonely anymore."

He said that so casually my heart stopped. I blushed and just nodded.

"So about tonight, I'm guessing you're probably done with your concept by now."

I nodded in agreement.

"Well, I was wondering if we could just, you know, grab dinner somewhere else."

"Oh, that's alright. Sure, I mean."

"It's a date."

He smiled widely at me. I gasped, then smiled back at him. Just then, Mr. Alexander entered the room.

"Hello everybody! So we've found our last five for the gallery!" He said enthusiastically as he beckoned us to sit at the table.

I followed the others to the table. I sat between Blaire and Brian.

"Okay. So let me introduce them to you." Five people entered the room on cue. They all lined up behind Mr. Alexander.

"Josh Gamet." A tall, chubby guy with blonde hair, blue eyes and soft features nodded politely at us. He looked like a big teddy bear, cuddly and cute.

"Amanda Clarke." A girl my height with curly blonde hair, baby blue eyes and slightly tanned skin waved happily.

"Ben, Cory and Troy Harlem." Three guys smiled at us. The triplets were identical. They were tall, had short brown hair, light green eyes, and striking and edgy features. They also had cute identical smiles.

The five all took a seat at the table.

"Now, I would just like to update you about the show. It will be in 3 weeks. You all know it will be a one-day event. It will start by nine and end by five with a celebratory dinner by six."

I just nodded but I didn't hear a thing. I kept on thinking how all of this would end. I am terrified.

There are so many possibilities here. Only now I have Brian. I sneak a peak at him nodding at the Director. What is he in my life? Then the painting I had to do now. What will I do? I scream in my head. These other people here, they are here in my life. But I don't want them in my life. I don't want to hurt if I get too close to them.

"Ms. Adams, did you hear me?" I turned to look at the Director smiling at me weirdly.

"What? Oh. Sorry." I looked at my hands awkwardly.

"It's okay. I was talking about how we should all be formal." He said politely. "The party is simple but your judges will be there. The winners will be announced the next week. Alright. That would be all."

The director stood up and left the room with a wave. The five that went in with him left, too. I sighed. I picked up my sling bag from the side of the room. The others followed behind me. Just when I thought I could get a clean getaway, Alexis grabbed my arm and we all walked together.

"Have you eaten, Faye? I know this great coffee shop that serves the best cheese cake ever."

I guess I'm tagging along.

~~~

"So Faye, how do you like the school so far?"

Blaire was seated right across from me. We were at a very cute coffee shop just a walk from the school. Just as Alexis said, it served the best cheese cake ever. The atmosphere in the shop was very happy and cosy, unlike commercial coffee shops.

I pursed my lips when Blaire asked me a question. Opening up, that's one step to becoming friends. Blaire sighed exasparatedly.

"Alright. What is your problem with me, Faye? I'm only trying to be friends with you."

The others also quietly looked at me. I was just too stunned to speak. Blaire really did want to be friends with me. I don't know if she'll stay for me if she knew about what happened with my other friends.

"I-I'm sorry. It's just . . I'm scared."

"Why would you be scared? We're not gonna attack you." Blaire took my hands and held it tight.

"I'm scared that maybe you all are just like them. They hurt me."

"Oh babe. You were bullied, weren't you? Don't worry. We will never hurt you. We promise."

"They left me, you know. My 'friends' left me alone with it."

They all went in and hugged me after my tears started to fall. Even Brian and Jose tried to comfort me.

"We're here Faye. We'll take care of you."

~~~~~

I don't know if anyone noticed but I've made a few changes to almost all the chapters. It would be awesome if you check them out again and maybe leave your comments? *hopeful smile*

Loves Loves,

Rob