4: Where's Our Comfort Money For Fighting The Demon King?!

+++

"He woke up again, so we've been burdened with his defeat?"

"I don't know, pay me and I might consider taking him on."

"I'm sure he's hot as hell."

All three had different reactions to the news of the reawakening of the Demon King. The Pope raised his eyebrow at the last one but couldn't distinguish who said what.

"Yes, he woke up from his slumber recently. We don't know who had the capability to wake up the devil of darkness, but we fear that it might lead to another war. So, before a second Great War of Light and Darkness erupts, we summoned a Hero to get rid of him as soon as possible."

"Where is the old magic book you mentioned?" Magic was an enticing drawn to Atrillia and in particular, was the aforementioned magical text. Which, having contained the way to summon them all, broke the conventional of this world's magic. It spoke of great power, which made her all the more fascinated.

"It disappeared after the war. No one has been able to find the book even after meticulously searching for centuries." Before she could question him on how they knew the summoning circle chant, he added, "The only thing left over was the ripped page containing the childish handwriting of the summoning circle."

"Is that so?" Her eyes were clear, though her words eluded a mild reluctance. This turn of events, for someone to take the book but leave the summoning circle, it was obvious as to the purpose.

"If, after training, you successfully defeat the Demon King and cause him to fall asleep again, then we can grant you anything you desire." The Pope's voice was gentle, to persuade them into their needed role.

"Why don't you just get the old Hero and send us home?!" Lexie wanted to leave this terrible place but the Pope's next words made her freeze.

"The Hero is dead." His solemn voice shook the heart of everyone. It was clear that Pope Francis deeply respected the previous Hero and his heroic deeds.

"... How?"

"His body was discovered in the Demon King Castle. He sacrificed himself to seal the Demon King." Such a noble person... none of the girls felt like they could ever do such a thing, especially for these strangers. They wanted to meet the Hero that was so sacrificial but it was a shame they weren't able to.

"How unfortunate," Atrillia murmured, it was truly an unfit ending for a protagonist of an isekai novel. If this world was as she remembered, the hero would have been presented with an ending of great power and beautiful girls. In this case, it was not so.

"Yes, and now... this duty of saving Terra rests on your shoulders." The king spoke again after a long period of silence. It seemed like Pope Francis was a little startled that the quiet king had spoken out of his own accord, but he didn't show it on his face.

"I refuse." These words didn't come out of the mouth of Lexie nor Atrillia, but Yixue. She had spent years perfecting her medical skills and saving people until they became precious to her, yet in the end... they all stabbed her in the back. And again, she had created a godly elixir in a different life so she could spend her time with her beloved man, but he abandoned her in her most desperate time of need.

'What a fucking joke.'

"You mustn't refuse!" Pope Francis stood from his chair and walked in front of them. He conjured a sphere that showed the severe conditions of the people. The sphere was very gruesome and bloody and all they could see was endless violence. "This is a visualization of the Great War. Not only did it affect humans, but it affected all races in the middle realm."

All three pairs of eyes were glued to the sphere, the image invoking different emotions.

For Yixue, it reminded her of her days as a doctor. Although she was betrayed, it reminded her of the reason that she became a doctor in the first place: to help save the people in need.

For Lexie, the suffering children reminded her of her unborn child. Her heart grew with an unfamiliar emotion of darkness of wanting to conquer all of those minor demons that were mercilessly slaughtering the children.

For Atrillia, it was the sense of hopelessness found in the depth of their eyes. The suffering they endured with not a candle in their darkness, it was just as she had experienced. Undeserving but inevitable.

Yixue sighed, ultimately agreed to become a hero. "Okay, I'll give it a chance."

"Only to help the kids," Lexie mumbled her consent.

"This is not a disadvantaged role, I'll assent." Atrillia nodded, though the words and actions were mostly to herself, not in reply to the Pope's hopeful eyes.

"Thank you, Heroes! We—no, all of this continent is grateful for your helping hand." The Pope was brimming with hope and gratitude, he did a deep bow as the king followed his lead.

"This is a task we've taken upon ourselves, there is no need to bow," Atrillia answered politely. "Since we've reached a consensus, do we have a place to settle down?"

It was at this moment that Lexie realized that she was dressed in a bloody hospital gown. Her cheeks flushed. She quickly wished to go change her clothes or take a nap. It might've been possible that she was dreaming of everything, her biggest wish. But she also didn't want to go back to Richard, so maybe this new world wouldn't be as terrible as she presumed.

"Yes, we have prepared rooms for you all. It was a hasty fix, as we had not expected to receive three heroes, but while we had our discussion the servants tended to your rooms. If there is anything you need, please do ask," Pope Francis answered them pleasantly, waving for the servants who had left the courtyard to enter again.

Soon three simple clothed maids appeared from the castle and greeted them with a uniform bow.

"Each one will lead you to your own rooms designated in the original quarter prepared for the arrival of the Hero. The day has been long for you, Heroes."