Chapter 1

"How is it that music can, without words, evoke our laughter, our fears, our highest aspirations?”Jane Swan

Chapter 1: Nothing Out of The Ordinary.

• ▪︎-▪︎-▪︎-▪︎-▪︎-▪︎-▪︎-▪︎-▪︎-▪︎-▪︎☆▪︎-▪︎-▪︎-▪︎-▪︎-▪︎-▪︎-▪︎-▪︎-▪︎-▪︎ •

Jake's P.O.V.

I was in the Music Room, were we usually have band practise. The was a microphone in front of me and I was singing my heart out. Suddenly, Hailey appeared in front of me and started singing as well. She started walking out of the room and down the hall. I made to follow her but something stopped me. I seemed to be glued to the spot.

"Come on Jake!" said a voice, it must be Hailey's. I went to follow her again but I couldn't move.

"Come on Jake! We are going to be late!" said the voice again.
Late? What could we be late for? Suddenly, I opened my eyes only to be greeted by the sound of someone pounding on my bedroom door.

"Jake! If you do not wake up this instant, I will have to come in there and do it myself!" shouted a angry voice from the other side of the door.

"I'm awake! Don't worry, I'll be downstairs in just a second.." I shouted back, hopping out of bed and getting dressed at lightning speed. If there's one I know from living with my mum, is that she does not like be late for anything.

And I mean anything.

After getting dressed I went downstairs for breakfast. My little brother, Matthew, was already eating breakfast at the table.

"Morning sleepy brother." He said cheekily. I smiled and rolled my eyes. He started every morning like this.

"Morning Cereal-head." I said back, as this was my usual response. He laughed at this, almost choking on his milk. I said this every morning, but he still finds it as funny as the first time I said it to him.

"Matt, how many times do I have to tell you? Be careful when your eating. Or drinking in this case." Said my mum.

"Jake?" She said.

"Ya?" I responded, while putting some bread in the toaster.

"Are you all set for today?"

"What's today?"

"Oh please don't tell me you've forgotten!" Said groaned

"Pfft! Me? Forget? Are you sure you're talking to me and not Matt?" I said, not at all having a clue about what was going on today.

"The science field trip?"

"I totally remembered that, Mum, I was just..... testing you! Ya, that's right, just making sure that you're up to date with everything and-"

"He forgot." Sighed Matt

"I know." Said Mum.

"Hey! Mum's the one who says that you little-" I began.

"Jake!" Mum warned.

I rolled my eyes while taking the toast out of the toaster.

"How does a seven-year-old boy who laughs at a joke I have said about a million times get to make remarks like that?" I thought.

"Jake, you better go now, you don't want to miss the bus." Said Mum.

"Yeah, yeah.." I said, not properly listening to her as I was still lost in my thoughts. I started walking towards the door still thinking about how Matt always gets away with things, then suddenly...