Chapter 2

Snowkit swiped at the tortoiseshell kit with his front paws, twisting at the last second to avoid her paws crashing down on his own head.

The she-kit lashed her tail and jumped at him, this time knocking him to the ground.

Even though Snowkit knew that she was just playing with him, he felt a small flame of distress flicker in his belly as she pinned him to the grassy ground.

He could see her mouth opening and closing. Her ears were thrust forward and her tail lashed confidently. Snowkit knew this was her way of telling him she had won.

Suddenly a dark shadow flew over the top of him and knocked into the tortoiseshell kit. It was the dark brown tabby kit!

Snowkit saw his chance and wriggled away, pausing to watch the litter-mates tumble around together for a moment before leaping back into the fray.

The dark kit kicked at him with his hind paws so Snowkit had to duck and swerve around a bit before he could deal a blow to the toms shoulder, causing him to overbalance and fall on his face.

This seemed to highly amuse the tortoiseshell kit who rolled around on the ground, imitating her brother's face plant.

The tabby, now embarrassed, gave his sister a above and jumped on top of Snowkit, forcing him to the ground so hard that the air was knocked out of his lungs.

Snowkit lay beneath the day tabby for a moment, stunned. Out the corner of his eye he saw an orange streak coming towards him.

It was the ginger cat tom cat that was always concerning himself in other cats business. Not the nicer, younger gingery-brown tabby tom that often have him extra fresh-kill and played games with him. This cat was different.

The ginger tom dragged the brown tabby off him. He had his ears laid back and his lips were forming the shape of a snarl as his mouth moved.

The brown kit looked terrified.

Snowkit wasn't sure what to do so he just sat up and stared as the ginger tom towered over the brown kit, lashing his tail threateningly.

The golden cat, the kit's mother, leaped to her paws along with Snowkit's mother.

Snowkit's mother curled her tail around his body and steered him away from the others. She looked angry.

The ginger cat and the golden cat were both open ending and closing their mouths at each other. The brown kit along with his sister, still looked scared.

The ginger tom was backing off, looking worried and a little ashamed. He said something to the brown kit then walked away, pausing to nod to Snowkit and his mother.

Snowkit's mother nodded for Snowkit to go back to the other kits. He did, this time they were being much, much gentler.

• • •

That night, Snowkit curled up at his mothers belly, trying to get to sleep. He had shut his eyes ages ago, and still seemed to be wide awake.

The heavy rise and fall of his mothers flank told him she was asleep. He was probably the only one awake.

Snowkit blinked open one eye slowly then blinked open the other one quickly and leaped to his paws.

He was no longer laying down in the soft mossy nest of his nursery. He was laying in lush green grass in a field.

Standing a few paw steps away from him stood a kit.

The kit looked almost exactly the same as Snowkit. Both were small white toms with sky blue eyes but this tom looked a little sharper, as if more experienced or tuned in.

"Hello Snowkit." The white kit meowed in a clear but not particularly loud voice.

Snowkit's jaw dropped in shock.