Chapter 12

Lauren's PoV

We were just a few states away from California, to freedom. It wasn't exactly freedom, I'd killed someone. I'm going to jail for life.

I look around at the girls and realize if I get busted, we all will. They'll go down with me and part of me doesn't want that to happen. Especially not Camila. The girls will become conspirators in hiding a wanted fugitive.

I nervously drum my fingers against the steering wheel. It's about midnight and the girls are all asleep. From the corner of my eye I see Camila stir beside me.

She flutters her eyes open and yawns tiredly before smiling at me. I smile too and rub the top of her thigh. She looks beautiful in the moon light and it makes me want to kiss her. Camila leans in and kisses my cheek and rests her head on my shoulder.

"Are you still tired Camz?" I ask before stopping at a red light. She nods against me. I look down and kiss the top of her head. When the light changes green I continue the drive and Camila shuffles around a bit.

She finally rests her head in my lap and with my free hand I stroke her hair. I hear her breathing slow and I know she's asleep again.

"I love you." I whisper in the darkness although I know she won't reply.

Eventually my eyes become weak and have to pull over. I find the nearest rest stop and park the car for the night. I yawn tiredly and fall asleep with Camila's head in my lap.

Camila's PoV

I wake up to the sun shining in my eyes and my head in Lauren's lap. Her eyes are still closed and I watch as she breathes quietly out her nose. I lift my head up and look around but I seem to be the only one up. I yawn and open the car door then shut it quietly.

I walk around for a bit to stretch out my stiff legs. I'm not sure where we are but I hope we make it to California soon.

I glance back at the car and Dinah seems to be waking up. She escapes the car quietly and makes her way to me.

I smile and together we sit on a nearby bench.

"Where are we?" Dinah asks while still rubbing her eyes from sleep.

I shrug. "I guess Lauren pulled to a rest stop." I reply while looking at my surroundings.

There's a building that looks like a restroom. And dozens of 18 wheelers parked nearby. We sit in silence for what seems like forever.

My stomach interrupts the vast quietness bringing me back to laugh.

"Gosh Mila, when aren't you hungry?" Dinah asks sarcastically.

I shove her shoulder and smile lightly. The fresh air is nice and I appreciate it before we have to leave again.

Authors note
Um this is a filler because I really needed to update and sorry for the wait. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for the story message or kik me