A stitched secret

Mute,  I've been playing mute for so long I forgot what my voice sounds like. The other hermits have never heard my voice. I was playing mute before I met Mumbo, it started in evo. It was a stupid punishment for breaking the rules. The other evolutionists ran away when they first saw me. I put on a mask and played it off as a prank. Day by day I forgot my voice.

Tick tock tick tock. I wake up for a dream I know too well. The scared faces when they saw me. It was time to get up I had a Sahara meeting to get to. I land in the meeting room. I tighten my mask as the others walk in. I wave a hello and walk to my seat. I use a whiteboard to talk in here, it's faster. I always pity them when they watch me use sign language. It always takes them a minute to figure out what I said.

I never planned on telling them. The faces of the others still echoed in my head. Sleep,  the only time I wouldn't be wearing the mask. The other hermits believed that it was just scars and I was insecure. I would say they got it half right. They aren't exactly scars.

There

Stitches...

The x pattern littered my face. An x over my mouth to silence me as they said. Also an x pattern that follows the shape of a smile. A muted smile can only say so much. They wanted me silent. I broke a rule and found something they didn't like. The stitches loosened as time went on. I could speak again, but if they found out they would silence me again. If I kept up the act they would loose interest in keeping an eye on me. Then I could finally speak out.

I paced around my base. It's been years.  Have they stopped watching yet? I take off my mask for a second. I wanted to see if that triggered anything with the watching. That was a mistake. I heard a gasp and rockets. My only thought was I need to leave. I packed a bag and headed for an unused island. I needed to find a way out again. I can't bare to see the faces of them as well. The weapons turned on me. The words said. I just needed the perfect time to get out. Until then I'll be the one watching.