The Two Wives of Abdul-Sharif - Part VI

Firdousi was woken up early the next morning by Asiya asking her to pick up Zanubi from gymnastics and Sarah and Danniah from the bus stop. Firdousi, of course, said yes.

     The day grew progressively worse. Firdousi got lost on the way to gymnastics, arrived late, and since she didn't want to leave just then, Zanubi threw a fit. When Firdousi took her with her to the grocery, Zanubi asked for every toy and piece of candy she saw. "We'll get something later, with Sarah and Danniah," Firdousi promised, and immediately regretted. While back home to drop off the groceries, Zanubi spilled grape juice on the kitchen rug and by the time Firdousi got it cleaned up (as best she could), it was time to pick the girls up from the bus stop. By now, she just wanted to drop them all off at Asiya's and go home and take a long, hot shower, but she knew Asiya would not be home for another hour.

     All the girls wanted to go eat, each at a different place. In exasperation, Firdousi said, much louder than usual, "Look, either we go one place or no place at all!" The girls sullenly came to an agreement and ate quietly. But Firdousi, remembering her earlier promise to Zanubi and feeling guilty for raising her voice, bought them each a toy.

     When she finally dropped them back home, Asiya said, "Thanks, but I wish you hadn't fed them so close to dinner time. I was going to take them out for pizza later."

     "I'm sorry. I didn't think you would mind."

     "Well, I guess it's okay this time, Firdousi, but you really have to stop spoiling them so much."

     At least I can have a quiet evening alone with Abdul-Sharif before the stupid trip tomorrow, she thought on the way home. Plus, the familiar backache let Firdousi know she was probably ovulating. Maybe something will go right today, she hoped.