The Two Wives of Abdul-Sharif - Part VIII

Realizing that he had gone too far, Abdul-Sharif tried frantically to calm her down. He thought of breaking the door down, but from what he knew of the abuse she suffered under Iqbal, thought better of it. But he had to do something. Asiya had never acted like this, not even back when they were in high school together. Whatever he told her to do, she did it, even if she griped about it the whole time. Firdousi had never complained- and now this...?

     Maybe Asiya would know what to do? he thought. So as a last resort, he called and explained what happened as best he could.

     "I don't know why she's refusing to go to Ali's."

     "You don't?" Asiya asked suspiciously.

     "Why would I ask you if I knew?" 

     "So Firdousi never told you what happened last time you went over there?"

     "No. Why?"

     "She never told you that Maryam spent the whole time they were alone in the kitchen together baiting her, trying to see how far she could go before Firdousi blew up?"

     "Whaaaat?"

     "Yeh, she said stuff to her like, "How come a little Paki like you married a Black man?" and "I guess he married you 'cause you're young and pretty and you married him 'cause he got some money, but people really oughta marry their own kind.""

     "Where'd you hear this from?"

     "From Maryam and from Firdousi."

     "Damn."

     "But, Sharif..."

     "What?"

     "Firdousi never blew. She just put up with it, but she was real pissed."

     "No wonder she didn't want to go again. I had no idea."

     "I tried to stop you from bringing her over there the first time. I thought you knew how prejudiced Maryam is and how much she hates polygamy."

     "So what do I do now? She's still crying in the bathroom and I promised Ali we'd be over. How can I go now?"

     "Well, I doubt he knows what Maryam said, so I wouldn't blame him. We've known Ali a long time. Just go and tell them Firdousi has a migraine or something. I'm sure she does by now with all that crying."

     "So what do I do about Firdousi?"

     "Just go. I'll take care of it."