The Two Wives of Abdul-Sharif - Part XII

The next weekend Abdul-Sharif went fishing with Jamal. Firdousi rode with him as far as his sister's, while Abdul-Sharif and Jamal went on to the lake. Firdousi and her sister in law, Zakia, were very relaxed in each other's company and were becoming good friends. They planned to celebrate the end of Firdousi's semester by shopping and having lunch out.

     Abdul-Sharif wasn't going to admit it, but Firdousi had been right. Jamal needed the time alone with him. He was much more open and fun to be around without Firdousi being there.

     "Uncle?" asked Jamal.

     "Uh huh."

     "I think I'll marry two wives too. Maybe three if I can afford it."

     "Just because you can afford it doesn't make it a good idea."

     "But it's my right as a Muslim man."

     "So? You also have the right to go swimming in January with the Polar Bear Club. You gonna insist on that too?"

     "No... but I thought you were happy with Aunt Firdousi."

     "I am happy with Firdousi. That's not the point, Jamal. You seem to think you sit around and they take turns feeding you grapes or something. It's a big responsibility having two households. You're the one holding it all together, juggling everything. And you think you can deal with that when your Mama says you don't even remember to take the trash out or feed your own cat?"

     "Yeah, well..." said Jamal quietly. "But that's not what you said when you were going to marry Aunt Firdousi."

     "Well, you live and learn," he said, looking over toward the horizon. "Now tell me again about that Science Fair project you're working on. What did you say it was called?"

-The End-