Chapter 8

The next morning I woke up and felt Sabien's arm around my waist, her hand was neatly tucked under me. I turned my head to look over at her and smiled. She was mumbling in her sleep. "Cute", I thought silently. I laid my head down and listened to her soft mumbling. A few times I thought she said my name and others she said it as plain as day. After a while Sabien moved her arm and cuddled up to her tail. "Aw, that's adorable!" I thought nearly saying it outloud. I slowly got up so I didn't wake her and made my way to the kitchen. I cooked some of the wheat biscuits that I had made from the wheat I had gathered a couple of weeks ago from the farm in the village. When I was finished and setting up the table, Sabien walked in. Well good morning sleepy head, I said playfully. Good morning she replied with a town. As we sat down to eat I asked, did you know that you talk in your sleep? Sabien looked at me with suspicion and what I thought was a flash of panic but I didn't know because it was gone so fast. What did I say? She asked. Well I shouldn't say talked, but you mumble a lot and I caught you saying my name a few times. I told her. Oh, she said relaxing. Why, what were you dreaming about? If you don't mind my asking. I asked. Oh.....uh, nothing, she said obviously trying to hide the fact that she was uncomfortable. I felt panic rising in my chest. " Did I say something wrong?" I wondered. Um, anyway how about we take the day off of working in the village? I asked, trying to change the subject. Sabien's tension started to fade away. OK, she said. What do you have in mind? She asked me. Her discomfort long forgotten. Oh, whatever you want to do. Oh.., uh but I have something....special, I want to show you later, I told her. After we finished breakfast we just sat and talked for a while. Before I knew it, it was noon. After lunch Sabien asked me, so how did you and your friends have fun? Oh, me and my friends would play Shadow ball. I told her. " Whenever I was around them." I thought to myself. She looked at me with a confused expression. Come on I'll show you. I told her. We went outside and I created a ball of shadows, then I tossed it to Sabien. She caught it. Usually we would only use our connection with the shadows to pass the ball to each other. You couldn't let it touch the ground or you were out. I told her. It was a way of strengthening our bond with the shadows. I explained. She tossed it back. We did this until right before sunset. Hey, Sabien. I called. Yes Fang? She asked. Remember when I told you that I had something I wanted to show you? I asked. Yes, she replied. Well come on or well miss it. I told her, already sprinting up the mountain walkway. Wait up, Sabien yowled. But I only slowed down a little bit. When I got to the cliff laughing. Sabien was not far behind, she stopped panting. Man...your.....fast. She said between gasps. Now...what did you....want to show me? She asked, catching her breath. I'll let you catch your breath first because you're going to need it. I told her. Why? She asked. Just trust me on this one. Please? When she caught her breath she said OK you dragged me up here now what did you want to show me? She asked, half demanding, half curious. I sat down on the edge of the cliff and beckoned her over. When she sat down I pointed and said, This is what I wanted to show you. Sabien turned to look at the sunset. oh, it's beautiful, she exclaimed. This is the one place I would go to think. I told her. To be away from everything. I continued. Then I took a deep breath and braised myself. Hey... Sabien? I asked. Yes Fang? She said, still gazing at the setting sun. Her blue eyes sparkling in the light. It felt as if my tail and my tongue were tied in a knot. My heart hammering faster and faster against my chest til I was certain it was going to burst out of my chest. Sabien, do you, do you want to be my girlfriend? Sabien looked away from the sun set and looked at me with a shocked expression for a few moments then I saw a tear roll down her cheek and her shoulders started to shake. "OH,NO. I thought, what have I done." panicking I was about to apologize when she fell into my chest hugging me tightly. Then she raised her head to my ear still hugging me and whispered, "yes". I was wrong when I said I thought my heart couldn't beat any faster because it sped up so fast I Thought it had doubled in speed. My limbs felt like they had turned to jelly. I was so happy I could barely breathe. She had said "yes".