Chapter Twelve

Dave stormed away from the training area, making a beeline towards his room where Zak was sitting cross-legged on his bed, scratching Floof's ears and cooing. He perked up once Dave walked in, and a bright smile stretched across his face.

"Hiya, Dave!" He said cheerfully. "Your dog here is really nice! I have a dog, too. His name is Rocco." He paused and looked at Dave's face, brow furrowing. "What's wrong?" He asked.

Dave sighed, rubbing his arm. "I think you've been spending too much time here...people are getting the wrong idea..."

Zak frowned. "What do you mean, the wrong idea? I've just been checking up on my best friend, what wrong idea would they get?"

If he didn't want to kiss the boy, he would've smacked him at his naivety. "Well...you know...people'll think we have...an affair or something-"

Zak scoffed. "Why would they think that? All you'll ever be to me is a friend, right? That's stupid, why would we date?"

Dave sucked in a breath. D-did he just get friend-zoned by a diamond boy who screams half the time? What an utter failure he was.

"Well," Zak stated, knocking him out of his thoughts. "I should be heading back. You are right, I've been spending too much time here. I've got a kingdom to run." He patted Floof's head, giving a final hug to Dave before he stopped in the doorway.

"I've been thinking for awhile..." Zak started. "What if we combined our kingdoms? Like, we're both king, maybe...and the capitol..." he trailed off.

"No, no, I get it." Dave walked up to him, nodding. "We would be stronger, then, and our kingdom would cover both Old Territories. We'd be the strongest kingdom!" Dave brightened.

Zak smiled. "Yeah! We can do that later, though. I actually have to get back." He threw his arms around Dave's waist, giving a final 'Goodbye' before leaving the castle.

Dave let himself have a thin smile as he watched Zak leave, his chest tingling where Zak has hugged him. He chuckled, scratching Floof behind the ears and walking out his door in a good mood.

Hanna came up behind him, giving him a playful sock in the arm with her free hand. Her other carried a platter with a teapot, teacups, and a roasted ham sandwich with mashed potatoes. "Hey, how's it going?"

Dave kept a straight face, but his eyes twinkled. "Good, how about you?" He glanced at her platter. "Who's that for?"

Hanna shrugged. "I've been good. This is for your mother, actually. And yes, she's been eating."

Dave let out a sigh of relief, rounding the corner. "That's good, very good. I couldn't live with myself if she was gone too..." his eyes grew solemn.

Hanna nodded sympathetically. "I know, Dave. I'm really sorry." They walked down a flight of stairs, nearing his mother's quarters.

"On a happier note," she said, giving a cheeky sideways glance to Dave. "How's Zak been? Saw him go into your room last night. Didn't see him come out until morning. What were you two doing in there?" She winked, chuckling.

Dave scoffed, his cheeks turning pink. "You got the wrong idea, lady, we did nothing like that."

"Alright...unless?" Hanna smirked, and Dave shoved her lightly, his face all pink.

"God, you blush so much. I mean, I know you like blood rushing, but I didn't think like that!" Hanna joked. "In all seriousness, how is your relationship with Zak?"

The pig shrugged. "I mean...I guess he did kind of friend-zone m-"

"What?!" Hanna exclaimed, nearly tossing her platter. Dave steadied his friend, spluttering out, "It's not like he knows I like him! I said that we were spending too much time together and people would get the wrong idea then he said why wouldpeoplethinkwe'redatingwe'rejustfriendsohmy-." He panted.

Hanna blinked, taking the platter with both hands. "Shit, Dave, didn't know you could talk that fast."

The king narrowed his eyes, but said nothing. He stood up straighter, dusting off his cloak self-consciously. He pointed towards his mother's door, giving a curt nod before walking away.

He walked aimlessly, not caring where his feet took him. He gave a sad look to his sibling's old room, and a hiss of rage at Vincent's old quarters. That thieving, murdering monster disguised as a boy. What a terrible excuse of a human. If he got his hands on him, he'll-

He stopped at a doorway, cautiously opening the door to reveal the throne room. There were three thrones, the largest one his father's (now his) the second largest his mother's, and the smallest his old one. All were made of gold, the richest material in Porcus's mines. Rubies dotted the very top, and a large crystal of obsidian was the crown jewel of the entire thing.

When he stopped admiring the thrones, he noticed a line of people that stretched all around the room, some yelling angrily at the guards that hurriedly tried to calm them. Dave groaned internally, taking a seat at the king's throne.

Time for the villager's complaints.