Chapter Nine

Dave felt his mother grab him tighter, crimson eyes widened. Vincent escaped? And he took something from the treasure room, a high-security vault for the kingdom's spoils of war?

Dave growled, lightly pushing his mother away. "Send out searching parties. Bring him back alive. I'd like the honor to execute him myself." All thoughts of pity for the boy had vanished. He would pay for what he did to his innocent siblings.

They nodded grimly, stalking out the room and heading towards the stables.

Dave slipped out of his mother's grasp, hugging her once more before following the warriors. He composed himself with a short pause and a deep breath, masking his sadness with his narrowed eyes and downturned frown he usually wore these days.

A warrior slowed his pace, and he recognized the cloak of Darryl. Sighing, he asked scathingly, "What do you want?"

Darryl rung his hands. "Ehrm, King Zak's here to see you."

Dave stopped abruptly. "He is? And King now?"

Darryl nodded. "He just came, and requested to see you immediately.

The pig king felt torn. He wanted to accompany his soldiers in search of Vincent and possibly his sibling's murder, but he also wanted to see his crush once again. With a deep breath, he muttered, "10 minutes, tops. Then he leaves."

The warrior looked a bit taken aback at his attitude towards the diamond king, but he nodded again and strode ahead of him, guiding him towards the castle entrance.

Zak stood there with a much too happy smile. He wore a circlet made of silver with a diamond as the main jewel, and gave a warm wave to the pig king. "Hey, Dave, just wanted to check up on-are you okay? Was this a bad time?"

Dave growled, walking past his friend. "The worst. Follow me."

With a hurt gaze, Zak followed the pig, jogging to keep up with the king's steady pace. "W-what happened?" the younger asked. "I can help, if you want to-"

"No!" Dave whirled around, and the diamond prince flinched. His features softened, and he turned away, salty tears rippling his vision. "This doesn't concern you."

Zak hurried to keep up, panting. "Are you sure? What's it about? Maybe I can help-"

"Shut up!" Dave roared. "Just shut up! I can handle this myself. I don't need you."

With a final sweep of his cloak, Dave left Zak standing in the hall, cobalt blue eyes wide with disbelief and hurt.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Dave flopped onto his bed, chest heaving. He'd spent the entire day scouring the kingdom for the wretched boy, and there was no trace. It was if he had disappeared. Burying his face in his pillow, he sobbed for the first time that day. He heard a creak, and he flipped the pillow over quickly, turning away from the person who had entered his room.

"Dave?" A small voice asked. Not daring to turn around, the pig muttered, "What do you want?"

He heard the sound of a door closing, and felt a heavy weight sit on his bed. He kept his gaze to his headboard, barely seeing Zak's distorted features in the polished wood. He put his chin to his chest, sulking like a toddler.

Zak sighed. "Dave, your mom-"

"What, she's gone too?" He said, still avoiding the other's gaze. "She's gone, because the world won't let me have one sliver of love? One person who actually cares about me? No one will ever let me have one goddamn day of peace?" Dave heaved, burying his face again, shutting his crimson eyes tight. If only it were that easy to shut out the world, to stop the heartbreak and blood that stained his heart. If only all of it will go away with a shut of an eye.

"No, Dave..." Zak murmured, setting a hand on his shoulder. "She's fine, Dave. God, I'm sorry. I can't even-" he stopped.

Dave dared to lift his head and turn around, bloodshot, red eyes meeting saddened sapphire-blue ones.

Without warning, Zak tackled him in a hug, and Dave let out a strangled yelp as he was enveloped in the smaller boy's arms.

"I'm so sorry Dave..." Zak murmured into his shoulder, sending shocks up his spine. "I'm sorry you had to go through this..."

Dave held out his hands uncertainly, before returning the hug. Zak smelt of something sweet, like a lemon candy. It felt safe hugging him, like he was an unbreakable shield that protected him of all heartbreak. He set his chin on his shoulder, his sadness dissipating.

"Do you want me to stay?" Zak muttered softly, still holding Dave tight. He paused, nodding. Shifting backwards so he was sitting at the head of his bed, he held onto Zak, closing his eyes.

By the time he had nodded off, they had shifted down on his bed, Zak curled up inside of Dave with the pig's arms wrapped around him.