The green house
1890

"I don't agree!" I yelled while Jefferson was crossing his legs on the couch across me. "Violin is a way better instrument than piano! See, it has way more deep in it, and the nuance it can have! And-- it's just an absolute piece of art in general!" He shook his head in disagreement.

"No, no, Hamilton, you're all wrong! Piano is the best. And don't get me started on the ugly sound your stupid instrument have." He smirked a little, an habit he seems to have when he's confident in his opinions, which means all the time. I signed with exasperation. Before I could even open my mouth to argue a bit more someone entered the room.

"Mr-- Mr. Jefferson." He looked at the side, seeing a servant who I could easily say, was stressed out. She, too, remembered me of Hemmings; they look a lot like each other. He nodded. "There's... may have been a problem in the washing of your clothes and I-I may have lost your... purple suit." The first thing I wanted to do was laughing, but the expression Jefferson had disuad me to do so. He sat up and crossed his arms, towering the poor woman.

"You know this is my favorite suit, do you?" He angrily said. "You know how important this suit is for me? You know how all the other servants take attention to this suit while washing it? How did you LOST it?!" If a glare could kill she would probably be seven feet under the ground. She swallowed her saliva.

"I'm- I'm so sorry, sir. I promise this would never happen again-!"

"Sure hope it won't! But that doesn't answer my question! You know you're fired, don't you? And you know what? Your brother too is fired!" Her face fall, she was about to cry. It broke my heart. I'm sure what she did was an honest error.

"B-but he hasn't done anything! How can we take care of our family without this money..we-we're immigrants, we wouldn't find a proper job..!" That broke my heart a bit more. Immigrants? That's sadly true, there isn't a lot of jobs immigrants can do, they work in factories or in mines, basically all the dangerous and not well-paid work. As an immigrant myself, I got very lucky. I stepped closer to the two.

"You just had to think of that before losing my favorite suit!" Oh that's enough, my bit of sadness transformed itself in anger.

"This is too harsh, Jefferson." I firmly said. He glared at me.

"What?"

"I said, it's too harsh." He completely turned to me, now towering me. He looked pissed off. "May I remind you, Mr.Jefferson, of the words you said to me not less than two days ago? I can be honest with you, I can go on and fight with you, I can say to you that too much is too much or that what you're doing sucks." I close my fist. "So I'm saying it, what you're doing right now is unfair, you lack of indulgence and empathy towards this girl. And over something that is not worth it. I understood firing her, even for only one mistake, but no need to fire her brother. This is too much." His gaze in my own, he took a breath, seemingly trying to calm down.

"You have absolutely NO right to tell me what to do." He looked away. "And I can do whatever I want, like firing you. And you don't want that, do you, Hamilton?" A salty laugh escaped my lips without me even realizing it.

"Well, I don't want to work for a man who have so little respect for the people around him. The thing is, I have work other than yours. But this woman, she doesn't." I glance over at her, her glowy eyes finding mine. "And she and her brother need this job, not so they can buy a fancy purple suit or another hand made carpet, but so they can survive and eat. Such concept isn't so familiar with you, is it?" He open his mouth to say something but just close it soon after.