8

Countless thoughts occurred to Dahyun on her way to the address Taehyung had texted her. It's highly unusual of him to be this expressive of his actual self that he hides from everyone else, so Dahyun feels anxious as to what happened that made him want to reach out to her.

It is a quiet, secluded bar in the streets of Itaewon. The night is still young which is why it is understandable that it's rather empty, making her easily find the subject of her worries.

Lonely and gloomy are the right words to explain how Taehyung looks right now. He's blankly staring at his almost empty glass of rum, sitting at the leftmost seat of the countertop table right at the bar.

"Kim Taehyung, are you alright?" Dahyun's worry-filled voice awakened him from his reverie, turning his attention to the girl standing beside him.

Giving her a sad smile, Taehyung motioned her to sit beside him before asking, "What do you want to drink?"

"I'm not a good drinker." Dahyun said, earning a chuckle from Taehyung. She did not fail to notice how empty he sounded, but she chose to wait for him to open up. Letting out a sigh, she asked for a glass of water before continuing, "One of us has to drive anyways. I'm guessing I'll be responsible for that."

Taehyung scoffed before taking a sip of his newly refilled glass as he said, "Then I'd take that as a sign for me to continue drinking."

"Hey." Dahyun nudged him, tilting her head while giving him a pair of eyes that's filled with questions and concern.

She did not want to go and ask him to explain why he asked her to come, because it might give him a wrong idea that he needs to give her a reason whenever they meet up at such random times. As much as she loves the idea of Taehyung calling her and wanting her presence, Dahyun cannot seem to ignore the growing worry in her heart.

Taehyung turned to look at her, his eyes brimming with tears that he wishes to get rid of. He took a deep breath as he started, "A huge aspect of my past appeared before my eyes this afternoon." He paused, trying to gather the strength to speak before saying, "I thought today was just another typical day, but it turned out to be a very special one."

Pain, anger, and sarcasm are evident in his tone. Dahyun badly wanted to wipe those tears off his face, but she knew that he needed to let it all out. She may not know what happened, but she feels every single emotion he is pouring with his words.

Clenching his fists, Taehyung shifted his attention from Dahyun to the wine bar before his eyes. He sighed as he said, "I saw my parents, being all happy with their child about half my age." His voice started to break but he continued with a weak tone as he breathed, "Today was just supposed to be an average day where I would go out and source new art supplies but I guess I've been living a too tranquil life these past few years."

He paused, wiping the pool of tears from his eyes as he let out a scoff before saying, "I must really not deserve to live without being haunted by my past."

Dahyun knew that what Taehyung needs most is someone who would listen to him. She wanted to comfort him with words, but it seems as if he is not yet done with letting out his bottled up feelings. Instead, she gave him a pat as she gently rubbed his shoulders with her thumb.

"The smiles on their faces speak so much about how they adore their son and his interest in crayons and shit. Little did they know that the boy whom they left all alone in an orphanage now uses that as a living."

A sarcastic laugh came out from Taehyung's mouth, licking his lower lip as he shook his head before saying, "I just don't understand why they left me behind and never bothered to come back? Did they even look for me after all these years? Why would they choose to bear another child after literally throwing one away?"