Flying Home

Chapter 55: Flying Home

The last time I was at an airport, I was heading into a new world headfirst. This time the airplane will bring me back home. When I go home, will everyone notice how different I am? I know I am not the same girl who left Crescent Moon.

"Are you ready?" Kai asked.

I shook my head, "Of course not. But we should head in."

Kai pulled me back towards him, "It's okay to be afraid. But remember I will be right here with you." He pulled me into a hug. My cheeks flames as a wave of emotion hit me like a tidal wave.

"Don't you mean 'we' will be there?" Someone said breaking the moment. I turned to Zephyr grinning.

"Oh shush." I rolled my eyes and step away from Kai.

Alvina laughed, "I can't wait for next year!"

"What do you mean?" I scrunched my eyebrows.

"Next year you will be eighteen." Clementine interjected as she pulled out her suitcase from the trunk.

"I know I will officially be an adult. That's going to be super fun. I can get a tattoo or a piercing." I use to research the perfect tattoo, but I couldn't find the perfect one.

Laughter broke out throughout the group, "Oh sweetie." Mama Fra shook her head, "Remember when you are eighteen you will also get a mate."

"Right." I pinched my lips together and looked down, "That too." I trying my hardest not to look up at Kai. I hope he is my mate. I shook the thought out of my head. If he's not my mate, I don't want to get my hopes up.

"Come on. We are going to be late." Kai said and began to push us towards the entrance of the airport.

"Well, well, look who is changing the subject." Alvina said. But she entered the airport none the less.

I turned back and gave Mama Fra one last wave before following Alvina. She was waiting in the lobby with her hands on her hips.

She looked past me to whoever was behind me, "Are you really not going to ignore the fact you might be mate?"

"You need to stop!" Kai growled and waited on line for security check. I don't understand why that was a touchy subject.

"Alvina, I know you like to tease." Clementine whispered, "But don't push this, please. For me." Does Clementine know something?

"Fine." Alvina rolled her eyes. But then added loud enough for Kai to hear, "I didn't do anything wrong."

Kai turned and glared. Did he not want to be my mate? That's fine. But I couldn't help but feel disappointed.

I walked slowly over to Kai, following Clementine. Maybe it's best she stayed in between us. If he wasn't my mate, then I should get rid of whatever I am feeling for him.

After going through the security check, we checked in our bags. Kai kept glancing back at me. I wish he would either spit out what he wanted to say or stop looking like that. I felt anger bubble from within me and Nyra wasn't here to help me control it.

My skin buzzed and I felt a wave of calm roll over me. It was Nyra trying to remind me to stay calm. I inhaled and exhaled.

"It's okay." I could almost hear her talking. No wait, she did say that.