Chapter 4

You walked up the steps of the trailer's covered porch. It was utterly quiet. The yellow light beside the front door was on, and a moth was dancing across the fixture. You glanced back at your car parked next to Clyde's land-yacht of an old Grand Prix. The woods surrounding the cleared bit of land was pitch black and full of chirping crickets.

It wasn't too late to turn back.

No. You'd offered a solution and convinced Clyde to go along with it. You wouldn't leave him hanging.

On Sunday afternoon between loads of laundry, you'd run down to Duck Tape. The place had been clear of customers. Clyde had been lounging in a chair behind the bar, his ankles crossed in front of him. The Golden Girls had been playing on the unmuted television.

When he'd seen you, he grabbed the remote and turned it off. He'd hurried to stand and offer you a drink. You'd asked for a root beer and bourbon, taking a seat across from him. After fixing you the drink, he directed you to the porch and came out with you. There was a lone table with a set of rickety chairs, and you two sat facing the parking lot as you talked.

At first, he'd been adamantly against your plan. Though you'd gotten out of him that Jimmy and Mellie were interested in your idea to rid themselves of Sarah Grayson. Clyde hadn't been so sure it would lead to Grayson springing your trap.

Clyde told you Mellie had uncovered that the local police did know Sarah Grayson was in the area. She'd also uncovered Grayson was on unpaid leave. Her partner, Noonan, had been reassigned in her absence. Grayson was alone in her investigation.

All evidence pointed to Agent Sarah Grayson going rogue.

That was actually helpful. It painted a portrait of an obsessed FBI agent.

Even though Clyde saw your point, he still didn't want to do it. It had taken a while to get him to agree. The load you'd put in the dryer had long gone cool by the time you were finished at Duck Tape. In the end, he had come around with multiple assurances you were ready, willing, and quite able.

With a deep breath, you now knocked on his front door. You heard him trudge through the living room. You tucked your hair behind your ears and tried not to look nervous.

Clyde opened the door and stepped back to let you in. You knew you gave him a brittle grin as you greeted him and took a few steps into the living room. The television was off, and the only light was coming from a table lamp in the corner. You shrugged off your purse and deposited it on the coffee table in front of the old, plaid couch.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in ages," you joked as you turned to him.

Actually, you'd seen him just hours ago at Duck Tape. It had been a typical Thursday outing. Emmie had left twenty minutes after you'd arrived with your coworkers. She'd greeted you and quickly excused herself by saying she had an early morning coming. You doubted she ever missed her beauty sleep. She was pretty enough to give you a complex. After seeing her in her sleek clothes, you'd felt rather dumpy in rose-print leggings and long knit shirt with three-quarter sleeves.

However, the way Clyde had paid attention to you made you feel like a queen. Tanya had leered at you on the way home. She commented how nice it must be to have a handsome bartender wrapped around your finger. You'd felt your face heat. You denied any influence over any bartender anywhere.

Clyde grinned back, and it looked a little strained. "Can I get you something?"

"Are you having anything?"

"I'm..." He ducked his head. "I'm having a little grape juice. My pawpaw swore by having a jelly glass worth after dinner."

You shrugged. "I like grape juice."