Chapter 7

You put the phone back on the coffee table. You'd forgotten it there last night when Clyde had escorted you to bed, so you'd missed the call from the FBI agent in charge of his case. They'd left a voicemail stating there were positive developments in the case and asking Clyde to call them at his earliest convenience. You knew what that meant: Clyde was free to go home.

You almost wanted to delete the voicemail. Then Clyde could stay with you until the agent or the sheriff came looking for him. But deleting wasn't the right thing to do. He had to get back to his life.

You guessed you did, too.

It made you want to cry. You didn't want to go back to your boring life of going to work and coming back to an empty house. Shit, you thought, maybe you should get a pet. Like a sweet little calico to wind around your ankles as you prepared dinner or pop up between you and the book you were reading. Maybe then you wouldn't feel so hollow at the thought of a home without Clyde in it.

With a deep breath, you pocketed the phone and went to the kitchen. It was a cheerful morning—a stark contrast from yesterday. The clear sky was a delicate blue. There were birds chirping and the gentlest of breezes rustling the leaves of the trees.

Clyde was still asleep, and you couldn't find it in you to wake him just yet. Instead, you pulled the leftover bacon from the fridge and decided to make hoecakes since there were only two Eggos left. You could chop up the bacon and put it in the batter, and serve them with maple syrup. On the side, you could cook him a couple of eggs.

You heard Clyde move around just as you were getting out a knife to chop the bacon. You became hyperaware of the phone in the pocket of your robe. When he came into the kitchen, you put down the knife and turned to him with a smile. He was wearing the same t-shirt and shorts from yesterday.

"Mornin'! I'm makin' hoecakes."

He was quiet for a second, face blank and mouth partially open. "I haven't had those since Mommy passed."

"Oh, I can make somethin' different." You shrugged. "If you want."

"No," he said as he took a step towards you. "Hoecakes sound great."

You nodded with a small grin. "Okay, then." You fished out your phone as you approached him. "You got a call from an FBI agent."

You unlocked your phone, pulling up the voicemail, and handed it to him. He thanked you and took the phone to listen to the message, wandering out of the kitchen as he did. You turned to the counter and went back to making breakfast. You told yourself not to get upset. Nothing between you was changing.

You heard his deep voice coming from the front of the house. He'd obviously called the agent back. Naturally, you could only hear one side of the conversation, but you could intuit what it was about.

When Clyde came back to the kitchen, he placed the phone on the table and told you he was cleared to go home. He said they'd used some sort of meter to uncover two other bugs in the trailer. They'd found a monitoring device on the landline, too.

"But it's all gone now?" you clarified as you flipped the first batch of hoecakes.

"Yep."

"And now you can return home after breakfast! Get back to your life!" You tried to keep your voice bright, but you couldn't look at him. "All's well that ends well, right?"

There was a tense beat before he agreed.

Breakfast was a quiet affair. And, on your end, strained. You attempted to be upbeat as you offered to drive him home, but it felt fake and damn near neurotic. You didn't want him to go. You were close to begging him to stay. Not just to make out with him, but because you liked his company. You wanted to get to know him better.