Chapter 34 : Approval Or Disapproval

IDUNA

My nerves were jangling and floating around my stomach like fly-away leaves when the wind spirit was feeling particularly playful. I wanted to snatch them all up but they were too wild to control.

Agnarr squeezed my hand, "Are you alright?"

I turned to look up at him. I couldn't honestly say that I was alright, I was feeling very much the opposite of alright. But I gave him a reassuring smile and watched as he pushed open the door to the boardroom.

Every single face inside turned to me and I gulped. They all looked so professional and intimidating. My mind fell blank on all the courtesies Arianna had drilled into me the last week and it wasn't until Agnarr gave me a light pinch that I remembered my manners.

"Good afternoon." I said politely, lowering myself into a curtsey, making sure not to overdo it like I did for my friends' entertainment.

A murmur of replies rippled through the room, but to my disappointment, not one face softened from the look of disdain and disapproval that etched it.

Agnarr guided me into the room and helped me into a chair before sitting beside me.

"Good afternoon gentlemen." he said, raising a hand in greeting to the room, "I think you all know why you are here. To meet the girl I am courting and intend to make my Queen; Iduna." he nodded towards me, giving me the warm, bright smile that usually made me melt, only this time I was far too tense for it to have any effect.

A few men nodded their heads stiffly, but their unrelenting, stern gazes made me shift uncomfortably in my chair. I didn't like the way they were looking at me - studying me even, waiting for me to make the smallest mistake so they could swoop down and strike.

I was beginning to wonder how Agnarr put up with their hardness when he suddenly slammed a fist against the table, making it apparent that he didn't put up with it at all. It was so forceful that I almost shrieked, but clamped down on my lips in time. In any case, each man shifted their gaze towards the King.

One of the advisors cleared his throat. "Your Majesty?" he queried respectfully.

"Why are you all looking at Iduna in this way. For men who claim to be respectful and just, you aren't very good at projecting it. Give her a chance. If you trust Arianna's judgement and tutoring, you can trust Iduna has even more to offer than before." Agnarr seethed.

I wanted to smile gratefully at him, but didn't feel that it would be taken well, so kept quiet until I was asked to speak.

"I apologise." the same advisor as before spoke, then he turned to me, setting a smile on his face, "Good afternoon Iduna. My name is Heimdall. I hope you are well?"

"Oh cut to the chase Heimdall." a voice snapped. It was a familiar voice, but because I spent so much time in the Castle I was bound to have heard at least one of these high ranking men speak before.

Heimdall turned to the man with an indignant expression on his face and, with a muffled gasp, I recognised him as the one who had dragged Agnarr away from me on our first meeting. I didn't know why I was so surprised, but I did not like the look of this man at all. He was wearing a neat uniform with several shimmering medals on his chest - clearly he was a member of the Royal Guard, but that wasn't what made me uneasy.

"I'm merely trying to make the girl more comfortable, Colden." Heimdall said with a slight frown, "I don't see you trying to be friendly. Always as cold as stone."

I sensed some rising tension and glanced nervously at Agnarr who had a fire raging behind his eyes, as if daring any of the men to get on his bad side.