FOUR

Indumati's mind swirled with confusion amidst the sudden calmness that enveloped the palace corridors

Indumati's mind swirled with confusion amidst the sudden calmness that enveloped the palace corridors. Just moments ago, chaos had reigned supreme, but now, an eerie tranquility hung in the air. She shook her head, attempting to dispel the troubling thoughts that threatened to overwhelm her. The haunting flashbacks of the dreadful memory clouded her mind, making it impossible to focus on anything but the past. Desperate for distraction, she resolved to immerse herself in some task, anything to anchor herself in the present moment. Pushing aside the scrolls she had been poring over in the library, she departed from its confines, determined to find solace elsewhere.

The muffled cries, the whispers, and murmurs filled the air, mingling with the solemn silence that enveloped her tiny form. Towering figures surrounded her, their somber gazes fixed upon the lifeless body of the crown prince, shrouded in a pool of crimson. Through tear-blurred eyes, she turned to her aunt, whose countenance was frozen in a mask of shock and fear-

She swiftly pushed open the doors to the empty room, illuminated only by the soft rays of sunlight filtering through the small window above. The vast space stretched out before her, with a corner designated for a change of attire, furnished with simple wooden fixtures. Indumati wasted no time, shedding her robes and swiftly donning her black fighting gear, a symbol of her readiness for whatever challenges lay ahead.

Get stronger. That was the singular focus dominating her thoughts, a determination to transcend the limitations of her past helplessness. Moving towards the shelves, she reached for the sword that once belonged to her crown prince brother—a symbol of strength and resilience.

With a fraction of hesitation, she began to wield the sword, her movements sharp and precise, each swing cutting through the air with intent. As she moved forward, her sword traced patterns of strength and determination in every direction.

But then, she felt it—the presence lingering in the shadows, silent yet unmistakable, its existence a reminder of the challenges she sought to overcome on her journey to becoming stronger.

Indumati's heart raced as the footsteps drew nearer, until they were right behind her. Whirling around to confront her unseen assailant, she found herself face to face with an empty space. But before she could react, the presence was upon her, mere inches away. With lightning reflexes, she wielded her sword, launching a flurry of blows in rapid succession. Yet, the mysterious figure effortlessly blocked or evaded each strike, his movements fluid and precise.

Suddenly, he seized an opportunity and delivered a horizontal swing towards her. Reacting swiftly, Indumati ducked and countered from below, only to be met with another deft block from her adversary. A sharp pain flared in her shoulder as his blade found its mark, causing her to stagger backwards.

As she regained her footing, Indumati observed her opponent more closely—his entire body shrouded in black, save for his piercing eyes. Undeterred by her injury, she braced herself for his relentless onslaught, parrying his attacks while slowly retreating.