10 Bucks and a Date

Jacob opened the door to his small apartment and stepped inside, a single bag of groceries and a cold brewed Americano in tow.

Jacob set down his 16 oz paper cup of coffee from a local coffee shop and pulled out his groceries, which consisted of instant ramen cups, a pack of energy drinks, macaroni, and cheese sauce.

Nutritious? Nope.

Cheap? Yep.

Jacob pulled off his mask and took a long drink of his Americano, before pulling out his Motorola and calling Zak.

He waited for about 30 seconds before Zak picked up.

"Hi." Jacob said in a creepy, stalker-like voice.

"I told you to stop doing that." Zak replied firmly.

Jacob pulled the phone away from his head and let out a short giggle.

"Soooooo...What do you want me to do today?"

Jacob walked over to his little office, which used to be a guest bedroom.

"I emailed you a little work list, I tried to keep it short since, like, it's a work day and you're an essential worker."

Zak's statement annoyed Jacob. Essential worker or not, he could do whatever Zak wanted him to do while working part time.

"Stop talking about that. I don't even work full time, I can't be an essential worker." Jacob opened up his laptop and pressed the power button.

"Look, if the dude that wears the mascot costume for Baskin Robbins is an essential worker, you have to be one too."

Jacob paused for a second, then shrugged. He couldn't argue with such sound logic.

Jacob logged into his computer, and gazed at his gorgeous desktop background.

It was a screenshot for that one time Zak tried to troll Jacob on Minecraft by building a big memorial to ZelkTheElk x Spifey.

Jacob had pretended to be upset, but in reality, he loved it, for Skeppy had put effort into the memorial, and it showed.

"Are you there?" He heard Zak's voice, snapped out of his gaze, and hastily opened Google Chrome.

"Yeah, sorry, my PC was taking a little longer than usual to boot up." Jacob felt his cheeks warming up, and looked out the window to find the sun still low in the sky.

"Hm, maybe I'll buy you a new one for your birthday."

Jacob was no stranger to Zak dumping money on him.

From getting paid to run errands for Zak that Zak could easily do himself, just so Zak could keep flirting with Darryl to Zak buying Jacob a new phone because Jacob complained once about it, Zak seeked to pay for Jacob's expenses, in return for undying loyality from Jacob.

Ah, yes, that was the catch. Zak wasn't just being nice for the sake of it. All this money was to make sure Jacob never left him. Ever.

Jacob always knew that. He could smell it off of him the minute Zak handed him 3 quarters for a drink from a vending machine.

Jacob was good at copying people and keeping like minded with them. Maybe that was why Zak seeked to keep him close. Maybe Zak was worried about what would happen if Jacob fell into the wrong hands.

Maybe Zak thought that Jacob would do dangerous things or think dangerous thoughts to fit in.

Jacob, however, is a bit more complicated than that.

Jacob had his mind made up about the world long before he came into contact with any of his online friends.

Jacob would sell the illusion he was falling in, but into reality, he was not. If Jacob wanted to, he could double deal any of his friends.

Oh, except for George.

George would never do anything bad to Jacob would never resist him in any way. Jacob, for the first time, allowed himself to fall right into his arms.

Is that bad?

I'll let you, dear reader, decide.

Jacob, realizing he had dazed off again, snapped back into reality.

"Hey, I dazed off for a second. So, yeah, do you wanna go over the work list or do you think I can handle it myself."

"Oh, uh, yeah let's go over it." Jacob pulled up the most recent email from Zak Carder.

"So it says you need me to convince George to go on a trip to the Black Hills with you guys." Jacob commented.

"Yeah." Zak comfirmed. Jacob was about to move on when he realized something.

"Wait, you didn't say anything about this trip? Why am I not invited?" Jacob interrogated Zak.

"Oh, I didn't tell you? Me, you, Darryl, and George are going on a trip to the Black Hills!" Zak cheered.

Jacob was taken aback. First of all, what in the world is the "Black Hills"? And second of all, how can you forget to tell the person in charge of rounding up 50% of the participants?

"What's the Black Hills?" Jacob asked, trying his best the hide his shock and let pure curiosity show through.

"It's this really cool vacation spot! I thought you would love it!" Zak was enthusiastic, so Jacob focused on reflecting that.

"That sounds awesome! When are we going?" Jacob echoed Zak's tone wih excellent precision.

"I know, right?!" Jacob could hear Zak vibrating with excitement. Jacob stifled a giggle that always comes up when Zak hypes up simple things like these.

"Anyway, so I only need you to do that. I'm give you ten bucks whether or not you convince him because I trust that you made a good effort." Zak said normally.

"Alright, let me hook up my facecam."
Jacob started rummaging through his desk drawer.

"Why?" Zak asked, seemingly genuinely confused.

"Because my pleading eyes is one of George's weak spots with me." Jacob commented, and then he continued to rummage.

"Ok." Zak resolved. Jacob found the face cam and started hooking it up. Jacob reached for his phone.

"Alright, nice talk." Jacob put his finger over the "End Call" button.

"Wait what do you mean by 'one of the weak spots-'"

Jacob ended the call and sighed. He had work to do.

A/N: First chapter lol also 1000 words yey