Two Becomes Four

Edited*
-:-:-:-:-:-:-

When Tallulah woke, she was still pissed from their previous sparring session. After traveling with Atlast for five days, his questions seemed unending. With each answer, he was learning more about her and she was exhausted from trying to keep her secret.  Although she could understand that he was just trying to fill the void of silence while walking, she preferred that he didn't.  Tallulah was not used to getting so much attention, especially the kind without horrific consequences. 

The new day began with a sparring session, it was evident Tallulah was quickly making progress. She began to feel a combination of abundant confidence and resentment; she began to mock Atlas for his upbringing in Aria, a “slave to noblemen, indeed!” She didn't want to envy him, but she did.  She could feel that if she were born into the same privilege, she wouldn't be in the predicament she was in today; she was angry. 

Atlas spoke of his privileges, oblivious and without an understanding of the consequences of his actions. He was clueless as to why she despised noblemen so much. Tallulah bluntly shared her belief that Noblemen acted like children, and most were not noble at all; they could do as they please without fear or understanding or consideration of their choices and the impact that they had on others. She didn't say that it was because of noblemen she had no future other than to run away, hide, or perhaps make a different living for herself. 

After their sharp exchange, they continued their journey in silence; it was a nice change. Atlas' horse, Ronan seemed to really like her and kept nudging her for her apples, and seemed to be encouraging a bond between the two travelers. Tallulah begrudgingly gave Ronan another apple and noticed the smirk on Atlas' face when she did so; she ignored it. 

At midday, Atlast became desperate to break the silence, he considered his words carefully this time and demurred, "I didn't mean to offend you in any way," Atlas said.  Tallulah tried hard to maintain her annoyance and to keep Atlas from learning more about her true identity, but she couldn't find it in herself to torture Atlas further with her silence. 

"Fine, I forgive you!" she said, leaving the threat of further resentment and silence on the table. 

After several hours the two finally reached an inn. It stood alone on the road and look as though it was quickly put together and held together by thatch alone.  It was the only dwelling but inside was the promise of warm food at last.  They'd been running on rations for the last few days but relished a modest feast of stew; it was rabbit based on the texture of the meat and a large chunk of fresh bread. Tallulah wrapped the bread for later, taking her time with her meal.  Atlas did the same.

Atlas dipped his bread into the bowl and began to speak as he wiped gravy from the corner of his mouth, Tonight we're going to practice hand-to-hand combat before we do anything with the sword."

Tallulah reluctantly considers his decision,  "Any particular reason for that?" She asked; hand-to-hand wasn't her favorite although she had more practice with that than anything else. 

Atlas was trained to gauge all abilities of fighters but knew the road ahead might become more of a challenge for the two travelers, especially while walking at a slow pace.  "You should be prepared for anything that might come your way," he explained. 

She gave a nod of agreement and they left it at that. Two newcomers in the inn were loudly speaking behind her. She caught wind of part of their conversation. It would've been hard not to, and they were from the same city as she was, Idrid. She wanted to sink away into nothing but listened carefully for any clues or indications that they were familiar with her situation or if she knew them. 

"Are you okay?" Atlas asked. Tallulah didn't realize she had contorted her face and must have looked weird. 

"Uh, yeah. I'm fine," she said, but her previously savored meal suddenly required urgency. They quickly finished and headed to the stables to grab Ronan.

She took her pack from the Ronan’s back, opting to carry it for today, she also secretly feared that she may have to make a run for it and would need her pack. 

As Tallulah contemplated the potential need to run, her silent thoughts were interrupted by a cheery greeting, "Hello!" Atlas returned the greeting but Tallulah remained guarded and quiet. The greeting came from the two men from the inn. They were only two stalls away; two beautiful white horses stood patiently for their riders. The men were ferreting around their supplies while preparing to feed their horses. 

"My man and I are on our way to Aria," he said.

"So are we, what brings you there?" Atlas replied. 

"The Queen has sent out conscription notices for all lords and lesser houses. I am answering for my family," which meant she would see her brother soon as well. She was in a sticky situation. 

The look on Atlas' face was unpleasant. She wondered what he was thinking. 

"That's unfortunate, I hadn't heard the news," he replied. 

"It was sent out a little more than a week ago," Atlas nodded. 

"What are your names?" He asked. 

"I'm Atlas, and this is Talon, and I could ask the same of you," she didn't get a chance to say anything before he spoke for them both. 

"Mykel, and this is Ander," Mykel responded. Ander gave a nod to them both. He seemed to be a rather stoic person. But so was she. 

"Since we are headed in the same direction, we could all travel together. What say you?" 

"No," "Yes," Tallulah and Atlas said together, she was in the disagreement. She glared at him. She didn't want to hide from more people. At least once she got to Aria, there would be so many people that she would be overlooked. 

That's how she ended up as the caboose, listening to the men talk in expressive tones but not paying any heed to their words.

She was able to assess them easier now. Mykel and her had the same shade of hair, which she knew was uncommon. Ander was her height, but of stockier build, and Mykel was only a little taller than her. They were both clad in black cloth, Mykel's hands were also clad in gloves. 

They packed heavy-looking saddlebags, two swords each. They were prepared for this journey. She hadn't been. She had just been trying to leave her awful situation.

They stopped to make camp once night began to fall. Since she had no horse to tie up she got busy making a fire for them. 

"Atlas says he's helping you train before you get to Aria, would you mind if we joined in that as well?" This was the first time she'd heard Ander speak. His voice was deep like Atlas' but not as harsh. 

"Sure," she replied. She ate the bread from the inn as her dinner for the night, sitting away from the others, she didn't trust them, at least she'd been with atlas to know he wasn't going to kill her. 

After everyone had finished their food, she finished first, they were ready to spar.

"Okay, Talon, you first. Get into a ready stance," she did. And then he was after her. Her mind went into overdrive as she had flashbacks from when her husband would attack her while drunk.

She put her hands up to fight back, and she blanked. Next thing she knew she was on top of Atlas, straddling his chest, holding his shirt, and ready to punch him. 

She scrambled away. Fighting back tears. Everyone looked at her oddly. 

"You've had hand-to-hand experience before, haven't you?" Atlas said, wiping filth from his clothes. 

"Yes," was her curt response. 

"Where? Your attack methods were impeccable, I was blindsided by them," he remarked. She would have felt pride at his words any other time, but she felt shame. 

"You get tired of being a punching bag at some point or another," she mumbled.