Chapter 16 - Papyrus and Jane

"Don't you think you're a bit possessive, dear?" Toriel asked.

Toriel and Jane were such opposites that Toriel couldn't help but try to calm down the woman. She seemed too eager to use her knife.

"Oh, no, I'm fully aware," Jane said, "But I don't conform to society. There's a reason to why I'd rather spend my days with zombies who don't bother with gender and traditional rolls compared to survivors without a brain. 'Don't worry Jane, the men will go scavenge for food, you stay here and be their medic'. No thanks. Waste of my talent and time."

"Isn't Sans scared of how possessive you are of him?" Toriel asked.

"I was transparent and explained before we started dating," Jane explained, gently adjusting her grip on Sans. "He knew full well what he was getting into. I told him I'd be possessive, and he has every opportunity to leave our relationship if he so desires. It's not a 'no one can have you but me' situation, it's more of a 'as long as we're dating you're mine and I'm yours, so I don't want anyone to hurt you' deal. He can have friends, I don't care the gender, and I trust Sans not to flirt with them. It's when people come onto him, or say, kidnap him that I use my knife."

"That doesn't sound like a healthy relationship," Toriel said.

"Yet when the genders are switched, it's considered attractive for the man to defend the woman," Jane said, "Just because the female has more strength and is protective over the male doesn't make it unhealthy. Much less, we're at the end of the world, everything isn't very healthy right now. Our relationship may not be perfect, but there's no mental or physical abuse going on, no manipulation or lying. We communicate properly, and although I may have advantages over Sans in strength and power, I do ensure he never feels threatened by them."

"I'm sorry, I just don't trust you with Sans, you seem like... well, a Yandere," Toriel said, "Like from Alphys' anime."

"And you seem like a tsundere, if we were to judge," Jane said, walking sharply down the hall. "You have your rights to judge our relationship, sure, but we both have every right not to listen. It may frustrate you, but I don't bother with the social labels or ideals leaders tried to shove people into. Our relationship is working, as unusual as it is, so deal with it. It may be chaos, but it's our chaos. We're both happy. It'd be helpful if you didn't waste my time again."

"I-"

Jane rolled her eyes, walking ahead as Toriel stopped from the surprise. She understood her relationship wasn't exactly normal, but that was the beauty of it. It was a mess, odd, unusual, between a zombie monster and an experimented human, but it was their beautiful mess. Sans liked the randomness of it, and he loved it when Jane was strong and possessive. And Jane liked it when Sans was cute and cuddly. It worked between them. Toriel was only basing her evidence on seeing Jane's bad side, she didn't know what it was like not to be under Jane's wrath. And she wouldn't know for awhile, either, not until she got over her stupid crush.

"She definitely was interested in you before, Sans," Jane said, "She wouldn't have pushed that much unless she was attracted to you."

"Do you thiiinggg so?" Sans grumbled from her shoulder, "And howwwww'd you know I... awageeee?"

"Because I know you," Jane said, "But she's had some sort of attraction to you. If you were dating her before you died, would you return to that if you got your memories back?"

"Nooo... got nice girllllfriieennggghhhh right hereh," Sans said, patting her back.

"And you're still fine with me being, as Toriel called me, a Yandere?" Jane asked.

"Myyy Yandere."

Jane chuckled, planting a kiss on Sans' skull. She loved their weird little relationship.

~~~~~~

'So how did it go?' Ben asked Jane when she and Sans got back to the front.

"Well, Toriel already started to judge our relationship," Jane said, "So I know she definitely had a crush on him."

'She might just be a little protective.'

"No, protective would be ensuring he was happy," Jane explained, "Jealous would be trying to sabotage our relationship without bothering to ask Sans for his input. For example, if Sans and Toriel did have a relationship before, and he regained his memories and preferred to be with her, I would let him because I want him to be happy. Jealous is what she is, because she wants Sans to herself without considering his emotions."

"Yup!" Sans said, hugging her closer.

'I don't think she even knows the full extent of your relationship, it's even more crazy when we know the details,' Ben wrote.

"That's the beauty of it," Jane said, "Are we ready to go?"

'Sally's asleep in the back and Jeff passed out eating tacos.'

"Makes sense," Jane said, "But we're keeping Toriel away from Sans. I don't want her flirting with him when she knows he's taken."

'Seems legit.'

"Wait!"

Suddenly, Papyrus was bursting out of the front doors, holding onto his scarf as he rushed over to them. If anything, he was probably the only person Jane actually felt bad for. Poor guy must have went through so much grief thinking his brother was dead, then was thrown onto a roller coaster today. Not that she regretted it, just that she felt bad for him.

"I wanted to- well, I know you don't remember me, and that's fine! I just wanted to say goodbye!" Papyrus said to Sans.

"You're cool with him having no memories?" Jane asked.

"No, it hurts, but there's nothing I can do about it," Papyrus said, holding a hand against his chest, the tear marks from earlier evident under his eye sockets. "But that doesn't mean we can't spend time together now, and that we can't create new memories, right?"

"This one," Jane said, pointing to Papyrus. "I like this one. He's the only good one so far."

Sans murmured something inside of his zombie language, reaching out towards the tall skeleton.

'He asked to wear your scarf, he said he really likes it,' Ben translated for Sans.

"Oh, um, sure!"

Papyrus carefully took off his scarf from his neck and handed it to Sans, the soft silk moving smoothly between them. Sans gurgled a happy thanks, which made a smile cross his face.

"Just so you know, I like you the most," Jane told Papyrus, pointing at him. "Consider that a compliment, I don't like most people. Especially the living ones."

"Thank you," Papyrus said, "I'm just happy to see that Sans is safe."

"You're handling this better than them," Jane said, "I'm surprised, really."

"Well, when we were younger, Sans once got really sick," Papyrus said, "And I had to be eased back into his life to make sure I wouldn't infect him with anything else. So I've had experience with being separated from Sans."

"But hey, you're a cool dude," Jane said, "Keep being that way, or I'll hang you on the wall next to Undyne."