Chapter 6

Out of respect for the boy's game, Midge waited until the door closed before she spoke to this supposed 'physician.' She couldn't keep the incredulity from her tone, even though she knew it was rude.

"Explain, 'Doctor Rubius.'"

"I'm eighteen. I'm not that young," the boy muttered, pushing one hand through his shaggy brown hair. "How did you see through my illusion? Emory hasn't, and it's been forever."

"You've been operating this sham for a long while, now?"

"I'm not a sham." The boy drew himself up, squaring his narrow shoulders and straightening his purple robes. His lips were scarred and twisted by either injury or defect, but his voice emerged strong and clear. "I'm qualified. A super genius. Youngest graduate in history from Darkstone Academy."

"And the doctor bit?" Midge asked, still sceptical.

Rubius sighed and threw up his hands. "I'm working on getting my healer's license now. That's where I am most days when Emory thinks I'm at that house. He had such a great offer, and the only qualification I didn't have was healing experience, so I just... padded the truth. It hasn't been a problem, so far. I mean, everyone's alive, aren't they?"

As he spoke, his voice rose in pitch until it ended in a hormonal squeak that made him pause, clearing his throat. "Please don't tell him."

Midge considered. She had no loyalty to Emory aside from the fact that he'd rescued her, although what exactly he had rescued her from was unclear. Perhaps she owed him nothing. She wasn't in the Faewild anymore, apparently, but she couldn't really believe that enough to feel secure yet. What was her status on the Mundane plane? Was she a servant here, too? Bound to let everyone else's mischief play out, be the butt of everyone's jokes and never take part?

For some reason the idea soured her stomach, when before it had simply filled her with a sense of tired resignation. She was in a position of power over Rubius, at the very least. Why not take advantage of that?

And apparently... "I can see through illusions?"

"You didn't know that?" Rubius' dark eyes sharpened, and he bit his lower lip in an expression of boyish eagerness. "What are you, really? I've studied the known creatures of the Faewild, but you don't fit into any of those categories."

She shrugged. For some reason, she did want to tell him more and respond to his youthful curiosity. First, though, she had to be sure she was where Emory claimed she was. "As I told Emory, I don't remember much. The Faewild is full of nature and greenery, isn't it? Perhaps a walk outside will refresh my memory."

Rubius crossed his arms. "I want you to promise you won't tell him about me. I'll lose his respect, and my position on the island, not to mention my house. Do you know how many other eighteen-year-olds own a house on a tropical island?"

Midge rolled her eyes. She wasn't that invested. "I will promise, but I don't know why you don't tell him the truth now. It's been so long, I doubt he would get rid of you."

Rubius' shoulders slumped in relief before he straightened, brightening. "You don't know him like I do. He takes people's words very seriously, you know. Besides, he only respects me because he thinks I might die of old age at any moment. Nobody likes a kid who's smarter than them.

"Smarter seems debatable, at this point," Midge said. "You think he likes old people better?" Maybe Emory would be friendlier to her if he knew she was eighty years of age. But then again, perhaps the boy's interpretation of the situation was wrong. It wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world.

"Well, I'm not sure if he really likes anybody, all the way. But he's always talking about how the human race is the dumbest one because it's so young and that it was a shame we die just as we're starting to become worthwhile."