Chapter 11

The water closed over Midge's head, and she felt a flash of panic. Her eyes closed instinctively, bringing familiar darkness; her breath caught and held in her throat. She didn't want to drown, or be sent somewhere again.

But she felt only the lap of cool water against her bare skin, caressing her toes and sending her hair floating up from her shoulders. Her lungs burned faintly, but she felt so calm, so relaxed, that she forgot why she had to hold her breath at all and inhaled.

Water flooded into her mouth, her nose, invading her body, and she waited for the pain to burst into her lungs.

The feeling never came. It was only a refreshing breath, a crisp sensation in her lungs that felt invigorating, as if health was pouring into her with each gulping breath of fresh water. She took a few more wondering breaths and felt a jolt; a tingling zap of desire snaked its way through her stomach and dissipated into flutters through her whole body.

She had never felt this before. The tingling began to build, a sensation as pleasurable as it was unsettling, and she wanted to spread her arms and legs and become one with the water itself.

Her heart pounded and she thrust herself up to the surface again in one smooth kick, bursting free of the rippling swimming pool and placing her foot on the rustic stone step that led to the shallow end.

"You did it!" Rita cheered from the edge of the pool. Her small, half-furred body was bare, soft, golden-tanned breasts bouncing lightly as she jumped and clapped her hands. "It worked, I think. Your skin is almost blue. It's so pretty! Are you all right?"

Midge glanced down at herself, lifting both arms and resting her palms on the surface tension of the water. Her pale grey skin had shifted in tone to match the gorgeous turquoise of the water around her.

She chuckled and sent a splash toward Rita. "You were right, as usual."

Not only was her skin different in color, but the texture was plump and healthy, and when she lifted one wet hand to brush across the back of the other, it had a pleasant springy texture that surprised her.

"I knew it, I knew it," Rita chanted, skipping back on her heels. "Get out and let's see how long it lasts. Maybe you should start sleeping in the pool."

Midge climbed out of the split swimming pool to the water that cascaded over the shallow partition, then followed along the partition to the edge of the swimming pool and stepped out onto the warm, dry stone deck surrounding the water. The whole pool was set in the very center of the village, so Midge could watch the pleasant movements of the residents while she waited for her skin to dry. Three women and two men were gardening together, tending to a large patch of yellow corn that would later be harvested to make breads and all sorts of delicious treats, according to Rita. A tall, dark-skinned drow with silver-white hair pulled back above her long, pointed ears and gleaming silver eyes, walked around the edge of the pool and continued towards the meadow beyond the buildings with a hungry look on her face and a bow in her hands. Hunting for something to serve the whole village for supper.

In the shallow end of the pool, two human children and their mother splashed and giggled quietly together, and in the deep end, a lanky bald man swam laps. He had performed beautiful violin solos for the village a few nights since Midge had arrived, and it always reminded her of the heavenly choruses Queen Titania hired for her court celebrations.

She loved this place. Everyone had a purpose, and even if they didn't, like Midge, they were still welcome. Emory's little speech had been a poor forecast for the openness and cheer that all the villagers offered since the first day she arrived.

"Oh, it's fading already," Rita said, sounding disappointed as she reached forward to brush her fingers against Midge's arm.

"I thought it might." Midge looked down to see her flesh sinking back a little, diminishing to its usual grey sheen. "Still, so interesting. I wouldn't have had the courage to try without you, Rita."