eleven.

evelyn's pov.

     "feliz cumpleaños, evelyn!" my dad cheered as he entered my room to celebrate 17 years on earth. i rubbed my eyes and sat up properly, trying to acknowledge what was happening. my lips tugged at a smile as i starred down at my papa holding a small cake that had the numbers 17 lit and dripping wax onto the cake.

     "ya tienes 17, ev. estoy muy orgullosa de ti!" ("you're 17, ev. i'm so proud of you!") my dad admitted. i couldn't help but let a tear of joy run down my semi-red cheek, quickly wiping it as it ran down.

     "gracias, papa. te quiero mucho." ("thank you, dad. i love you.") he gently laid a kiss on my forehead and took the mini cake into the kitchen, waving goodbye as he exited my room to get plates for us to eat it. i quickly ran to close the door and placed my back onto the cold, white door, sliding downwards and sitting down with my knees to my face.

truth is, i never really liked my birthday. of course i loved the affection everyone gave me, but it felt off without mi mama. i know i ruin my own day by one traumatic event but she would always sing happy birthday to me right at 12AM and make me open my gift in front of her and papa.

she would always gift me some piece of jewelry or clothing of some sort since we always struggled financially, but those gifts always meant the world to me because they came from the most meaningful people ever. it broke my heart into pieces once i found out mh mother will never do that again. i grabbed a chunck full of hair near my hairline and held it in frustration, trying not to make myself cry while thinking about this.

     eventually, sorrow took over and made tears drip like never before. i sobbed lightly and sniffled a couple times, making sure mi papa didn't hear. "wish you were here, mama." i chanted as i looked up at the portrait of my mother on my vanity. my body suddenly jumped at the soft knock on the other side of the door. turns out it was my dad asking me if i was okay. i pulled my head up in annoyance and groaned, making sure mi papa heard.

my hand jerked the knob to the left and opened it to a concerned dad with his ear against the cold wood. i furrowed my brows together and started laughing at him. "you're so weird." i blurted.

"i'm weird for caring about how my daughter feels?" my dad snapped. my eyebrows raised, making my forehead seem smaller. "that't not what i meant but take it however you'd like." i exclaimed. i shut the door softly and made my way to my bathroom to brush my teeth and get ready for a day alone, which i've been begging for.

hihi, i'm gonna be posting more chapters so stay tuned :p
-lucia 🐤