History Always Repeats Itself

The sound of people cheering from the other side of the window was startling. Someone scored another three points for their team in what seemed to be an intense game of corn hole. Hailey held her left hand to her forehead, opening her eyes slowly. She stared up at the ceiling, watching the fan go around and around. She sat up at a sloth's pace, peering around the room. She looked inquisitively at the bed below her. She decided to get up and see what was going on in the back yard. 

Hailey walked down the hallway, trying to get her footing as she looked like a baby deer. She finally stabilized herself against the wall to her right. She took a deep breath and finished the trek to the back deck. 

"How are you feeling, sweetie?" Becky asked, grinning as Hailey emerged from the back door.

"Other than feeling like it's my first day on my new feet, pretty good I suppose. What's going on? Are we celebrating something or is this another one of Kolby's gatherings that I have honestly missed since I moved. No one in North Carolina can quite throw a shindig like he can." Hailey laughed. 

"What did you say?" Becky asked, standing up. 

"That no one in my new town is as cool as Kolby?" 

"You remember you moved?" 

"Yeah, of course. What kind of question is that." Hailey gave Becky a look. 

"Brantley! Come over here! Brantley!" Becky yelled, nearly knocking over her glass as she pushed passed by the chairs between Hailey and herself. 

Brantley looked up from his place at the corn hole boards. He saw his mama waving like a frantic woman, alarming him. He ran quickly, Kolby tailing closely. "What's wrong? What happened?" 

"Now tell them exactly what you just said to me." Becky coaxed Hailey, pushing her forward toward the guys. 

"That no one is North Carolina can host a gathering like Kolby? Or the fact that I remember that I no longer love in this town? I don't know why it's such a big deal. I...." 

"You remember?!" Brantley nearly shouted, tears threatening to form at the corners of his green eyes. 

"Yes, why is this such a big deal?" Hailey stood stoic, hands by her side as Brantley picked her up and whirled her around in a large circle. "Put me down!" She shouted over the cheering coming from Kolby and Becky. 

"I am so happy I could kiss you right now." Brantley replied, placing her feet back down on the ground. 

"But you're not going to because we all know how that ends up." Hailey placed her hand up, stopping him from even trying. 

Everyone started laughing. Hailey was back. Her quick wit in full force. 

The ride back to Brantley's was a quiet one. Hailey had to tell him to stop staring at her with his goofball grin a million times, it was creeping her out. He let out a belly laugh. The same exact one she heard earlier. They turned down the road, coming up to the black iron gates. Brantley keyed in the code, the doors swinging open for them. He drove down the cement path, coming up to the round about of the driveway. He pulled the truck off to the side, closer to the garage. The two of them hopped out after he cut the engine. Hailey came around the front of the truck, stopping as she met Brantley. 

"Listen, " He began, rubbing his beard with his right hand. His left one resting on the top of the bed of the truck. " I know everything is a little crazy for you right now, but you can stay here as long as you need to."

Hailey twisted a piece of hair in her hand, twirling it around in thought. "Thanks." 

Brantley nodded, turning on his heel to head toward the house. Hailey didn't follow at first, still working things out in her head. She quickly caught up, coming up the few stone steps to the front door. Brantley held it open, Hailey walking in still unsure of her plan. She had no idea what she was doing anymore. She fought so hard not to come back to him. To let everything go and move on. And here she was, history repeating itself. Like it always did.