chapter 1

Alyssa fixated on the clock. The ticking sound was the only noise that filled her ears. If it weren't for the clock, Alyssa wouldn't have known her next shift started shortly, and her next assignment was to update the mansion team on the schedule for the month. Her attention shifted to the doctor on the other side of the room. The doctor was muttering to herself—something about the news from the heart of Raccoon City.

  Alyssa sighed before inquiring, "Are the protests still going on?" For the last three months, protestors have been causing havoc in the city's heart. They aimed to rile the umbrella corporation into using its influence and power. During one of her overnight shifts, the Red Queen briefed Alyssa on the situation. But everyone knew; it wasn't like they could stop every employee from gossiping. It was the only way anyone heard about the news in the hive.

  "You'd think the corporation would've stopped them by now, " the doctor said, taking the syringe from the table. If the corporation makes any move, it'll look bad. After all, it's a free country," Alyssa answered. The doctor was silent. She picked up a small blue vial from the table and breathed deeply. Her hand shook slightly with each movement, signs of fatigue, Alyssa thought.

  "Hold out your arm," the doctor ordered.

  "If the corporation thought they'd get somewhere, they'd shut it down," Alyssa explained while she rolled up her sleeve. The doctor sat down, pulling Alyssa's exposed arm to herself. The once quiet room now started to fill with the sound of footsteps. It had been break time for half of the employees on their side of the lab.

      "Have you received word from Dr.Ashford?" Alyssa asked before biting her tongue. She stared at the needle enter her skin with an uneasy feeling. Dr. Bolt pulled the needle out while looking empathetic.

"He's been on leave for the last week,"

"What? Do you know why?" Alyssa asked trying to hide her eagerness to know. Her thoughts immediately went to Angie, Dr.Ashford's daughter.

"He requested time off so he could focus his time on his daughter." Dr.Bolt said tossing the needle into the disposable box, the skin where the needle was inserted had already healed over. Alyssa nodded as she examined her skin. The doctor had been writing down things on her notepad.

"Any nausea you might experience is normal, if you feel anything else, please come back here." Dr.bolt said as she clicked her pen.

"Alright," Alyssa replied. She stood up grabbing her sweater.

"It's almost 3 pm, you'll have to rest before your next shift." The doctor said handing Alyssa a cup of water and a few pills.

"Take these-" Before the Doctor could finish speaking Alyssa swallowed the pills followed by the water. Dr.bolt averted her gaze while sighing.

     "Is there anything else doctor?" Alyssa asked calmly. The doctor turned back to Alyssa, she stayed silent a moment before speaking.

"Can you contact Abernathy? I need to speak with her," The doctor asked sitting down at her desk and began typing into Alyssa's file. Alyssa quickly slipped on her sweater before walking to the door.

"I'll send her down on her break," Alyssa said as she exited the room. As she reached the end of the hall she was shoved into the wall. She turned to see the back of a man's head.

"Asshole!" Alyssa yelled everyone in the hall began staring at the man. When the man turned the corner she caught a glimpse of his face. He was the new security that Umbrella had hired recently.