Liam

"Always on your phone! Didn't I tell you to stop already?" a voice called out from the door of my room.

I sigh and think in my head "Oh not again".

I look up to see my mother's face looking down at me, she was the typical 40-year-old Asian self-employed mom, always watching if her son's either on the phone or if the neighbor's kid is a successful engineer or doctor.

She had tied her long hair into a bun and was wearing a green jacket over a white shirt, her blue track pants had several spots of mud and dirt on it implying that she just came from working on the mini garden at the back of the house. 

She had mentioned a while ago that she would have to plow the soil at night because she would have been busy with her day job in the morning.

"School is tomorrow!" She said in an irritated tone.

"Shouldn't you be studying instead of watching your silly cartoons"?

Usually, I would have been annoyed if anyone said a statement like that straight to my face, but at the moment I was too busy enjoying those "silly cartoons" to retort.

I didn't want to hear another lecture about my health and house manners, so reluctantly, I wiped the chip crumbs off of my shirt and stood up into a seated position to face her, 

I was feeling really moody and rebellious at the time like you know, your typical hormonal teenager

"What do you want? it's still 8:00, I still have time." I asked her, signing my death warrant

"You still have time? You've been on that thing for hours. Go to bed!"

"But we agreed—"

"GO TO BED OR I TAKE AWAY YOUR PHONE, AND CLEAN YOUR ROOM, IT LOOKS LIKE A TYPHOON CAME IN THROUGH HERE!!"

"All right, All right. Sheesh"

She then left, shutting the door with a loud BANG!

Understandably, she was angry. My father had just recently been caught visiting another girl. This caused some friction in the household, which was really annoying on my part. I guess it wasn't helping her mood that I was in my room for the whole day watching anime and reading manga.

I take a look around my room. It was a normal room, albeit a bit geeky with a lack of openings. It had a single bed placed in the middle, with bookshelves lined up on the left and side of the room filled with different books and console games alike. Several books and games were on the floor scattered about, which was probably the reason why she asked me to clean.

A smart TV was hanged up on the front side with a gaming console connected to it, which was placed on the table next to it. There were two doors, one on the right side that led to the hallway and one beside the bed that led to the bathroom

I exhaled a deep breath, "Tomorrow, a new day a new set of problems, but before that just one more season," I say to myself as I blatantly ignore my mother's warning and take out my phone again.

The new season for my favorite anime was coming out and I was planning on rewatching the whole thing before sleeping.

I was just about to press play when suddenly the house began to shake.

I look away from my phone confused, at first, I thought it was the effect of my mother and father trying to fix their broken relationship, but then I decided that wasn't it when I heard the screaming neighbors and the wailing of the town alarm. With those pieces of evidence, I presumed it was safe for me to conclude that it was an earthquake, I guessed around 5.0 magnitude?

I got up, phone in my hand, and tried to head outside my room. Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned.

I realized too late that I stood up too fast and ended up with a case of Orthostatic hypotension (It's when you get dizzy from standing up too fast from lying down), it didn't help that the house was shaking causing me to lose my balance and fall, thus hitting my head on one of my bookshelves.

The impact from the crash was enough to bounce me back in the opposite direction, causing me to wobble slowly back into my bed as I faded into unconsciousness while cursing my lack of coordination and physical fitness.

After that, for the rest of the night, I dreamt...

I was in a garden filled with roses, one of those typical maze gardens you see in a palace or one of those 6th-century classical films. I stood there holding a long sword strapped to my waste.

My senses were disoriented somewhat. I felt taller for some reason, more alert as well as if I was constantly looking out for danger. I wore one of those old fashioned soldier uniforms, the one you would usually see the Queen's guards from Buckingham palace would wear, minus the ridiculous hat.

I was standing beside a beautiful young girl, from the looks of it around 17-19 years old, she looked like one of those actors you see in those tv ads. She had long, curled blonde hair and slight Asian features indicating that she was a mixed breed. The dress she wore was silk with frills and ornaments laced on her skirt. A brilliant sapphire necklace was on her neck which shined against the sun in a blue light indicating that she was from a noble house of high standing.

Both of us were underneath the roof of the tea house, it was the miss' afternoon tea time and I was on guard duty at the time.

There she sat next to me where I stood, as she watched a maid pour tea into a cup placed on the table in front of her.

She waits until the maid finishes and leaves, then she looks at me and smiles

"What do you think?" she asks.

"Isn't it hot wearing such thick clothes in this kind of weather? I mean if it were me I wouldn't be able to bear the heat." I say in words, not my own. I had no control of my body in any way whatsoever. It was like watching a VR movie from a first-person perspective.

"Says the man wearing long sleeves in the summer, but that's not what I mean, I'm talking about my engagement, what do you think?" She says as she picks up the cup of tea.

"Well, your highness—" I say as I instantaneously grab the cup of tea from her hands and take a sip, checking for any traces of poison. "I think he's a good catch, prince of the neighboring kingdom, leader of their royal guard, a genius in both politics and academics, what's there not to like? He's perfect for someone like you who was born from an affair with a commoner." I say sarcastically.

The princess then snatches the cup of tea from my hands whilst giving me an annoyed glare, she focuses her attention on the area my lips touched and looks at me cheerily while taking a sip from the exact same spot, indicating an intentional indirect kiss.

"Well if that's what you think, I can marry without regrets then," she says while heaving a sigh as if expecting a different answer.

I think to myself "If this weren't a dream I bet I would already be in love with this girl" when I suddenly realize my mouth was moving on its own to reply, interrupting my delusions. 

"That doesn't mean I want you to marry him," I say in a serious tone whilst staring in the distance.

The princess gives me a look of surprise at my answer,

"What exactly do you mean by that Sir Le—"

*BOOM!* an explosion sounds in the distance, interrupting the princess mid-sentence and causing me to wake up in a cold sweat and fall off the bed.

I realize then that it was actually my explosion theme alarm that woke me up, I had set it to a recorded explosion due to the fact that any other alarm had proven ineffective to waking me. I look at my alarm regretfully and curse my past self for making such an effective decision.

With a major headache and an unsatisfied curiosity about that dream, I head off into my bathroom to prepare myself for school.