Chapter 05

Chapter 05

Edited by @anita2687

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Melody wouldn't stop teasing me while she was driving me to the restaurant when Brandon called to make sure I was ok after I texted back, then asked me if I had time to grab a bite to catch up with each other, which I agreed.

For some reason, my heart started beating faster as soon as I saw him sitting at the table typing something on his phone.

"Hi, sorry to keep you waiting!"

He raised his head and looked at me with a smile as I was sitting on my chair.

"Hi. It's ok. I've just arrived myself. How are you?"

"Good, thanks."

"Hello, my name is Emily, I'll be your server today. Would you like to start with the mojito while you're looking at your menus?" The waitress greeted us with a friendly smile then went to bring us the drinks when we agreed to her suggestion.

"I wanted to thank you again for last night. You literally saved me."

"Don't mention it, sweetheart. I'm just glad I was there at the right time." He said while handing me the menu then continued after a few moments.

"Uhmm... I heard about you and Jack."

I pressed my lips and nodded while opening the menu as the waitress came with our drinks.

"Here are your drinks. Do you need anything else?"

"Yes, I want a Tenderloin Filet with a green salad with orange, avocado, and red onion, please."

"Same as her, and a bottle of St. Henri Shiraz wine, please."

He waited for the waitress to leave then looked at me with his warm beautiful honey eyes for a few seconds without a word until I broke the eye contact and looked at my hands on the table.

"I'm sorry he hurt you like that, Missy. He's a damn fool."

"It's alright. You're not the one who should be sorry. It wasn't your fault."

"Actually, it was..." He said quietly then broke the eye contact.

"What do you mean?"

"Well... I... I mean I should have known. He was my friend after all..."

"Maybe you would if you wouldn't have left like that!"

He looked at me for a couple of seconds while biting lips then nodded and lowered his eyes as his jaw muscles clenched.

Geez... calm down woman! What's wrong with you?! He doesn't owe you anything! Or does he?

"You know what, O'Brien! Actually... I think you do owe me an explanation!"

Clearly surprised, by my tone, he raised his head and looked at me when I called him by his last name for the first time ever.

"What do you want to know, sweetheart?" Leaning forward he put his hands on the table and said with a smile.

My frown disappeared for a second as my eyes averted to his sweet, heart-melting dimples but I knitted my eyebrows again and got myself back on track.

"What happened to you? Why did you become such a grumpy old dwarf to the point that you barely talked to me!? I felt like I didn't know you anymore! And then leaving like that without a word?!"

"Well... One of my uncles needed my help in Italy. They needed someone they could trust. He asked me to be their lawyer and since it was a great opportunity, I accepted the offer.

I thought I could use some experience. It was so sudden, and you and Jack were on a trip by the time and I had to leave as soon as possible. After that I've got so busy I just forgot. Besides, I didn't think you would care."

"Of course, I cared! We lived together for God's sake! We were friends! But I think I was wrong because if you didn't care enough to pick up the phone even once to call and say a simple goodbye, we probably were not as good friends as I thought we were."

He didn't answer, just sighed and looked at his hands in silence.

"Well... It was almost two years ago so, I think it doesn't matter anymore. I shouldn't even ask. Anyway... I hope you got what you wanted."

"Not yet, but hopefully I will..." He murmured something to himself as the waitress came back and served what we ordered with a friendly smile then left us to eat in awkward silence until he decided to break it.

"Uhmm... Missy... I don't know if you know, but tomorrow is Jack's wedding."

"Yes, I know." I said with a small voice while playing with my salad.

"I accepted the invitation but unfortunately, something happened and my date can't make it to the wedding."

"That's great!"

I raised my head and looked at his silly smile with an arched eyebrow.

Seriously?!

"I mean, I was invited too and don't have a date either. So since we're going to the same place at the same time... we can go together if you want."

"Are you out of your mind?! Jack's best friend and his ex-fiancé? People might think we're together... Like, together together!"

"So what?! Let's mess with him a bit. It will be a perfect wedding gift."

I started laughing when he said with a smirk and wiggled his eyebrows.

"I don't know..."

"Oh, come on, Missy... Let's have some fun!"

"You're crazy, O'Brien! Ok... let's go together..."

"Hey! Stop calling me by my last name! It's creeping me out!"

"What do you expect me to call you then?"

"I don't know... Bee? like you used to do! Or Brandon at least?!"

"Bee was my friend... and the Brandon I knew wouldn't leave me behind so sudden without a goodbye or not care enough to call and ask how I'm doing once in a while without a reason."

"But I told you! I didn't think you would care..."

"That's not reasonable, and you know it, that makes you not Brandon, not Bee but an O'Brien."

He shook his head with light laughter as I pointed my fork toward him and teasingly said what I meant. But when we spend the rest of the day talking and laughing like the way we used to... I knew deep inside, that no matter what, he always will be Brandon the bee to me.

But just because we were such good friends, Right?!

Right...

**********

Hi, my darlings.

So, tell me... How was it?

Like it, if you like it and then tell me about it.😁😋

Love you all💝💝