Chapter 1: Summer of 61'

The night of August 17th, 1961 was humid and dark

The night of August 17th, 1961 was humid and dark. A few citizens were walking on the pavement, coming back from their favorite restaurants, or just strolling in the city. The neons from a sign belonging to a nearby shop buzzed at the same time that an electric cloud created itself in an alleyway, breaking the silence of this Monday night.

Isabel dropped from the buzzing blue cloud, falling harshly on the ground. Her clothes were still full of her blood from the previous fight, most of it coming from her face. She groaned, a throbbing pain making itself know in her ribs, them having received most of the blow from the hard ground. She rolled on her back, seeing the dark sky and the brick walls surrounding her frail person. She also noticed the fact that she was completely alone, laying on the floor, making her wonder when and where she was. She tried to call out the other's names but she didn't have the strength to do so. Feeling the panic rise in her chest, she slowly got on her wobbly feet, a hand clutching her side, and made her way towards the street.

Her steps were unsteady, dangerously swaying from side to side. Her eyesight was blurry, making it impossible for her to see a few feet ahead of her. This caused her to collide with someone who was just crossing the alley, making him drop whatever he had been holding and sending her back on the ground. Her back hit the sidewalk, knocking the wind out of her for a few seconds. The tall man looked at the girl he had sent flying to the ground and was shocked to see the amount of blood that was dripping on her face. He immediately forgot the things he had bought, who were now scattered on the ground, and approached the wounded woman who seemed to be around his age.

"I'm so sorry, are you alright?" He asked, kneeling beside her but she didn't answer, barely conscious. He lightly touched her arm but she immediately pushed his hand away, making him think that perhaps she was afraid. "It's okay, I'm not going to hurt you." He reassured and then turned his head to the right, looking down the alley where she had emerged from, expecting to see some sort of thug which would've explained her bloody face, but no one was there. "Let me take you to the hospital." He said, which caught her attention.

"No, please." She managed to croak out, her voice raspy. "No hospitals," Isabel begged, thinking that it would bring her unwanted attention from the doctors and even the authorities. The man looked around, searching for a solution but the options were scarce. He had to think fast, seeing her barely awake.

Gently, he placed his hand on her shoulder, thinking that it could help her be more aware of the fact that he was talking to her. "Maybe my grandmother can help..." His sentence was cut short when he noticed that she was out cold. He shook her shoulder, hoping to wake her up but he was unsuccessful. The only option left was to pick her up and bring her to his vehicle, hoping to not seem like he was kidnapping her. He hoped that he would arrive at his grandparent's house fast enough for her to be safe. Even if he desperately wanted to bring her to a good doctor, he respected her wish to not go to a hospital, remembering the frightened look upon her face. Now laying across the backseat of his rusty car, she looked peaceful, if you ignored the red tainting her tan skin.