Chapter 28

Chapter dedicated to egiggey !

***

Weeks have passed, Norman was busy, Edna had to go out of town to meet up with some relatives. And I was left to hang out with Teddy. I didn't mind at all, to think of it, I haven't hung out with him much. Might as well do something with him. Maybe some painting, picture taking, all those types of art stuff.

I pulled out my cell and searched for his contact. When I spotted his name, I quickly typed in a text.

Hey, want to meet up in an hour?

A few minutes passed when my phone vibrated from a new message.

Definitely. Meet at Edna's work place?

I typed in my response.

Sure.

I set down the phone and got ready for the day. After getting ready, putting on some jeans and a warm long sleeves, I headed out of my apartment.

I walked towards the New York air, shoving my hands inside my pockets and meeting Teddy outside the restaurant.

"Echo?" I heard the familiar voice behind me.

"Teddy?" I responded. I turned around to see him with a small grin on his face. "What's up with you?" I crossed my arms in a teasing manner. "Anything new happen?"

"Not really. It didn't work out." He shrugged, trying not to show that it hurt when it was obvious.

"Ah," I said as I rubbed his shoulder. "You'll find someone."

He nodded. "Yeah, I hope so too."

"Let's go out and do something. Edna isn't here, she had to go to her grandchild's state. And we could maybe try something new. Or we could do something of the arts," I listed.

"Maybe we could go a walk around the park," he suggested. His hair falling into his eyes.

"Sure." I grinned as I walked by his side. Teddy was a whole head taller than me, around the same height as Norman.

"How's Norman?" he asked, hands shoved in his pockets as his dirty blonde hair lifted gently from the slight breeze.

"He's been doing alright." I thought about how urgent it seemed when he told me he had to leave very quickly.

"That's great."

"Yeah," I said quietly.

We spent the next few minutes talking about what had happened in the last two weeks. Teddy had finally finished another semester of college and was closer to gaining his degree. He seemed really happy, hopeful for his future.

"What have you been doing?" he asked.

"Painting more paintings," I said quietly. "Norman and I have been getting a bit more serious."

He nodded. "That's awesome."

"Yeah." I glanced around the streets, filled with people walking towards their jobs.

I breathed out, thinking about Norman. He had to rush to his business since something went very wrong. I looked around my surroundings, maybe his life isn't as scary as I thought. I studied the people around me, my stomach had a sinking feeling. I spotted a man point a gun towards me.

"Teddy!" I shouted, not fast enough for him to turn around and see the gun.

Teddy stood in front of me, just in time when the man pulled the trigger.

I felt my world crash as I heard the thundering sound of the gun. Everything went in slow motion, almost as if it wasn't real. Maybe it wasn't, but I knew deep down that this was real. This was reality.

He strained his eyes shut as he laid his hand over his stomach. Blood began to seep into his shirt as he slowly let himself fall to the ground. I rush over to him, his face stricken with pain and fear, his skin began to get sweaty.

"Teddy," I said quietly, feeling myself choke up. My hands shook as I leaned over to caress his cheek. I fell to the ground, not hearing the screams that had erupted from the crowd and just watched Teddy cling onto life.

Never have I ever seen someone die before me. I felt powerless. "Call 911," I shouted. "Call 911!" I screamed out.

Teddy gasped as he tried to breathe.

"I'm so sorry, Teddy," I said as my eyes began to get watery. "I'm so sorry for this."

He smiled, he smiled through the pain. He managed to make out some words. "I always loved you, Echo. And I feel honored that I saved you from a bullet. Be with Norman, he's the one for you." He closed his eyes, I held his head onto my lap as he focused in trying to breathe, his breathing was labored.

It was beginning to get colder, how the universe knows that they lost a great guy.

"I'm sorry, Teddy," I said through my sniffles. "I'm sorry if I was ever mean to you or anything like that. Thank you." I studied his pain expression as I heard in the distance the paramedics coming.

"Bye, Echo Fields," he softly said before going limp.

I closed my eyes, feeling guilt lay on my chest as I softly whimpered. Teddy didn't deserve this.

"Ma'am, step away from the man." I looked up to meet a paramedic's eyes. "We'll do whatever we can."

I nodded my head shakily before rubbing my arms. I breathed out as I reached in my pocket to call Norman. I punched in his number, the time it took for it to dial felt eternal.

After several seconds, it directly went into voice mail.

"Norman," I said in a shaky voice, "call back. It's Teddy, he's, he's, injured," I stuttered out. I quickly pressed the end button and breathed out.

"Ma'am," a voice said behind me.

I turned around to meet the eyes from before. "Yeah?" I said quietly.

"His chances are low. Are you an immediate family member?" he asked.

"Yeah, yeah," I lied, "I'm his cousin, actually."

The paramedic nodded as he gestured me towards the truck. I nodded and climbed in. Seeing Teddy look almost dead like, his eyes closed, his breathing forced, made me have guilt. I didn't pull the trigger, I didn't plan his death, I didn't know this was going to happen. But I had a feeling it had to do with Norman's enemy. I leaned my head to the side while I wrapped my fingers around Teddy's cold ones.

"I'm sorry," I said with a sob.

***

Author's Note: Thank you for the 7k Reads and 600 votes. Ahhhhhhhhh, it's amazing!!!

Sorry for the long update. I'm writing so many stories, it's unbelievable. I just started coming up with so many and I made book covers for it, it's been a blast. I'm just having trouble deciding which ones to publish. It's so hard to stay committed to one story XD

Please comment and vote!

REEDUS licks and kisses to you all!