Chapter 5

I looked at the mirror, seeing my reflection of my dark brown and my nervous green-hazel eyes. My skin was pale from nervousness. Because in a couple of hours, I was going to meet up with Norman.

I am going on a date with Norman, I thought to myself. I glanced at my reflection, seeing the corners of my mouth go up into a smile.

After sighing in frustration of not being able to put my hair up into a french braid, I heard Edna's footsteps behind me, step closer.

"Echo, let me do this," she said. She sat me down on one of my chairs.

She began to do my hair. I felt her cold fingers touch my scalp as she began to separate my hair.

I sat there, with my hands folded on my lap. I couldn't help but realize; for the first time in my life, Edna didn't question me. When I called her, asking for help. She immediately came to my aid and was helping me prepare for my first date.

"I'm actually surprised about the call," she said, breaking the silence. She pulled my hair, making me wince.

"What?" I asked.

"I mean, I remember the time you called me and said you needed help. So when I came here, you were simply heartbroken over a book," she said chuckling.

"Hey, some characters aren't meant to die," I said smiling.

"You tell me," she said laughing. I smiled.

"But it was a really good book," I argued.

"I'm done," she said with a smile. She snapped a picture on her phone to show me the braid she had made.

The French braid was beautiful, all the hair interlocked with each other, only a few strands escaping.

"Is that my hair?" I asked, astonished.

"Yep," she said. "Now we neeed to get your makeup and clothes."

"Uh, I don't wear makeup," I said. "I choose not to."

"Fine, let me at least put some eye liner on you," she said, pushing me to sit down again.

I sighed and let her.

"There," she said. She went into my room while I sat and waited. Knowing her, she wouldn't let me choose my clothes since I probably wouldn't pick the right ones.

She came back into the living room and dropped the clothes.

"You are going to wear this, now go change!" she said in a motherly tone.

"Fine," I mumbled.

After entering the bathroom, I sorted the clothes to see what she had picked out.

"Edna!" I shouted. The woman had picked a dress. I hardly wear any dresses. 

"What?" She shouted back.

"Why a dress?" I shouted, horrified.

She didn't answer and I glanced at the time.

7:02

I began to get nervous and panicked at the same time.

I quickly put on the black dress, which fitted to the body, which I do not like, and the leggings that she had also placed.

I examined myself at the mirror, for once, I felt beautiful and not so insecure.

I was always insecure and tonight, there was no room for that since I was going out with Norman. I was going to go out with a man that is the definition of handsome.