Chapter Three - The Call

My name is David Napoli and this is my family’s story.

On Tuesday I woke up, went to work, and started with the usual routine of organizing my day with my many lists. Lists are a saving grace when you have so many things to take care of in a day, a week, or even month. I had lists for everything. There were daily lists, to-do lists (usually acquired from my wife), a weekly list, and of course, a list of monthly/yearly debts. In today’s times, this particular list was extremely important to me. I had learned the hard way that the monthly/yearly list should have been a priority when times were good as well. We live and we learn. Hopefully we do. For me, the saying is more accurately stated, “better late than never.”

While I was hustling to scratch off as many items on my list as possible, I was interrupted by a call from my longtime friend John Hodges. I hadn’t heard from him in ages. John was a man with whom I went to college with back in 1981. In the eighties, we were just getting through with the silly years of disco, which was kind of a dichotomy because in the seventies some of the greatest music was written, as well as, some of the worst. It was all Classic Rock and Disco.

During that time, everyone said they hated Disco, but in the clubs, the scene was “happenin.” In the eighties we really weren’t too sure about that sound, but the clubs were still jumping though. In the shadows of an influential era, the sound of New Wave had arrived, Reggae was getting more popular and Rap had not yet hit the scene.

This was when I had met John. He was a slender, black man with a nice build. His hair was in dreadlocks and he never carried books unless he was going to the library to study. He came from a poor background, but was the kind of person that had pride regardless of his status. From the clothes he wore and the way he carried himself, John was a proud, black man and was very smart.

Although we hadn’t seen each other in a long time, he was the kind of person that I was immediately drawn to because he had a sincere aura surrounding him. When we first met, we became friends instantly. John tried to better himself by doing what no one in his family had ever done, go to College and get a degree.

Unfortunately, he couldn’t afford to continue past the second year of school and had to quit so he could get a job and help his mom feed their family of eight. His dad had left a long time ago; His mom was raising the family alone and needed all the help she could get.

In college, John never let on at how bad things were at home and it wasn’t my business to ask. I was nineteen years old and at that age there are normally blinders on. I was oblivious to what was going on around me, unless of course I was at a keg party. My sights were usually set on a beer funnel and of course, hot girls.

When he called I was happy to hear from him and I shifted gears from what I had been doing in order to take the call. The connection wasn’t too good and it was obvious that he made the call from a cell phone. He sounded far away, like he didn’t have a lot of time to talk.

“Hello. Is Dave there?”

I responded, “Yes, this is Dave.”

He asked, “Dave Napoli?”

 “Yes that’s me, how can I help you?”

“Dave, its John. John Hodges from College.”

“John? John Hodges?” I pondered the name.

“Yes,” He replied.

I said “John, how have you been? How are you?”

He responded in a hurried voice, “Well, that’s why I’m calling you. I need your help.”

I got the feeling he was in trouble from the sound of his voice, but I couldn’t pinpoint what was going on with his vague information. It was certainly obvious that something was wrong, but I hadn’t heard from him in so long. I was a bit taken back from the situation. Usually, when someone calls that I hadn’t heard from in a while, it was a happy call. It was obvious that this would not be.