Chapter 3: Girlfriend?

It grows silent. And stays silent for miles.

The deafening silence is unbearable. And her head is spinning. Spinning at the fact that after ten long years of thinking of her and wondering about her, that she's no longer a theme replaying in her head anymore. She is once again in her presence yet feels so far away. Distant even beside her. She wants to talk to break this silence. She even wishes she initiates something. Anything.

But it remains quiet.

Zuri takes this opportunity to text Coco, to let her know that plans have all changed. A text is the better option than a phone call right now.

Zuri to Coco: Baby...hi. I'll be calling you in an hour or so. I'm not with Tey anymore. She...actually I'll just tell you about it when I call you okay. It's too much to type. Love you.

She hits send and then immediately puts her phone back down on her lap. Once she looks up from her activity, her eyes meet hers.

Normani hastily turns her head.

Back to silence. The occasional automated voice from the GPS instructing the driver is about the only noise or sound heard throughout.

Zuri does her best to steal a couple of glances her way without being noticed. Normani does the same.

Finally, Normani ends the agonizing silence. But she still opts for not turning to face her.

"Sounds like you were aware that I was your client." The statement is made while she continues to look out the tinted window.

Zuri shakes her head. "No. I wasn't. I know you want to think the worst of me, but I was not aware that you were my client." She looks at her from the corner of her eye. "And besides, if I knew I probably wouldn't have accepted."

That gets Normani's attention.

She stares at her. In an expression of disbelief.

"Wow." Her eyebrows raise and she nods while she bites the inside of her cheek.

"No. No. I didn't mean it like that."

"You never mean it like that! You know what? Whatever, Zuri. You haven't changed since college." Her voice is laced with fury.

"Wait, hold up. What is that supposed to mean?" The facial expression she's making hints toward the confusion at the specificity of that statement and the passion behind her voice.

"You --."

"Ladies. We've arrived," Normani's driver announces, breaking the bubbling, heavy, heated tension.

Normani cuts her eyes at her and instantly exits the vehicle not even waiting to be helped out.

Zuri's eyes follow her. She stays behind a couple of seconds, face palming when she realizes that this is all a total disaster in the making, and she has no way to stop it from happening.

Normani walks ahead, not bothering to wait for Zuri. She enters the foyer of the home and a shift builds and builds the more she explores the residence. The Mediterranean property is ravishing. She marvels at the modern yet elegant design of the living room, a blend of brown and ivory tones. The kitchen is her next stop.

"Normani."

The client's heels still at the call of her name. Her smile fades as she turns to get a view of Zuri, who is staring at her as she approaches. The expression on her face questions who Normani thinks she is.

"So you just gonna do this without me?"

"You were too slow." Sorry-not-sorry is the look Normani gives the realtor. She pauses in reluctant consideration. "I only saw the foyer and living room."