Chapter 8: Fate

The vehicle travels along through the busy street of Peachtree. Julian navigates between the traffic expertly while both Normani and Zuri become awkwardly silent, again, reverting to radio silence.

On Normani's end, she is checking her email on her iPad. But it is only a minor cover because she's really having her own reflective thoughts.

She honestly didn't intend to say what she said audibly, but it just felt right to voice.

Zuri on the other hand is trying to piece what she told her. New beginnings. Why did she tell her this?

Does she feel that them meeting again after a decade seem like fate? Yes. It truly feels as though it is a divine plan by God. And under the circumstances, timing, and why she's here in Atlanta and of all the ways they are meeting again -- there are thousands of real estate agencies and hers happens to be the one that brings them back together -- it just all really appears like destiny.

But is it? Is it really?

Suddenly, fretfulness overtakes her. Striking her core just recalling that night she revealed that she liked her and confessed all that she did and for her to respond the way she did. The dejection, rejection, and embarrassment she felt is vividly remembered. It is almost palpable.

Looking back on it, Zuri realizes how much truth was in it all.

"You know, you're right," Zuri's voice disrupts the budding distress in the air.

Normani doesn't respond, rather opting to give Zuri the space to fill in the silence.

"Lexie Noelle being welcomed into the world, Teyonah becoming a first-time auntie, me embarking on this career, you finding a new dwelling here in ATL and also starting fresh in a new city...you are right. It's all new life and new beginnings occurring." Zuri ends her tête-à-tête by nodding at her own revelation.

Her non-verbal gesture eases Normani along with what she shared. Extinguishing what could have been internal mulling all over again.

Zuri's eyes settle on hers. And it's a striking, intense gaze. She can't turn her eyes away from her. She tries but can't. It's something about what she said that has her enthralled because everything is starting to make sense.

They continue to stare and get lost. The deepness of Zuri's gaze actually frightens Normani by its concentration. It is concentrated and unreadable.

"Here we are ladies. One-eighty Peachtree."

Neither had realized that the vehicle stopped moving and had arrived at the location.

Zuri averts her gaze.

"Um...you ready?" Normani ask as she nervously prepares herself to exit the vehicle. She waits a second for Julian's presence.

Zuri clears her throat. "Yeah—yeah, I'm ready." Zuri takes a deep, thoughtful breath. That scared her. Greatly. Because she has no business whatsoever having intimate moments like that with anyone that isn't Coco.

Coco.

With that thought, she feels horrible. With reciting her name in her head, she feels guilty. She closes her eyes and bows her head in shame.

Normani exits and casually straightens her dress, trying to act unfazed at what just transpired. But she can't deny the moment they just shared. And it is very apparent that she was affected. She slowly walks ahead towards the entrance of the home.

Julian makes his way to Zuri's door and opens it for her. She doesn't even notice he is assisting her.

"Ma'am?" His hand extends, awaiting hers. She opens her eyes and looks at him quickly and nods her head with a "thank you" to follow. She grabs her items and his hand.