Chapter 4: Re-vibing

You can visibly see Normani inhale and exhale. She uncomfortably looks down but quickly picks up her head again.

"That's – that's good." She pauses. "She's fortunate to have you."

She prays she successfully masked her voice, concealing the shock and pain. But the way Zuri is looking at her she can tell she didn't. It's noticeable enough to detect the tinge of hurt. The sound of her voice let her know just how she is feeling.

Zuri's phone buzzes.

"Go ahead. You should probably take it." Normani pretty much persuades her to as she relocates from the kitchen into the adjacent dining room to give her privacy.

Zuri watches her walk away.

She pinches the bridge of her nose with one hand as the other fidgets with the phone. Her thumb presses down on her smartphone to unlock the device. When the preview appears, it's one of those template text messages that says she's in a meeting. It reminds her that Coco's employer has a strict cell phone policy, which explains the automated response. She doubts she even saw her message yet.

Zuri to Coco: I didn't think your meeting would be this long. But please, please call me as soon as you're out or get a break okay. It's really important.

She hits send and puts her phone away. She takes a deep breath and goes to meet Normani who is now in the living room.

Normani feels her presence beside her while she stands near the prefabricated, stacked charcoal stone veneer fireplace. But she can't look at her. Zuri can feel a sense of apprehension coming from her. It's palpable. And she's not sure what to say.

Seconds pass of silence.

"Her name is Coco," Zuri says just above a whisper.

Normani turns her head to look up at her.

"We've been dating for two years now," the ex-roommate tells her in a solemn, steady tone.

Processing this information, Normani breaks eye contact and swallows before her eyes snap back onto her former roommate. "Two years, wow. How'd you meet?"

A pang of jealousy is felt in Normani as a wistful smile claims Zuri's lips.

"Well," Zuri begins with a lighthearted sigh, cruising down memory lane. "Back when I thought I wanted to do music, I had a manager. I would see his daughter occasionally at the studio, a live show, or at his house...before you get any ideas, it's not uncommon for artists to go to their manager's house, our—that industry is nonstop, there's no clocking out, and your team becomes your family. Mr. Jones—"

Normani politely furrows an eyebrow. "I didn't say anything," she defends with a little frown.

Zuri laughs. "Yeah, I just had to give a disclaimer."

"So you were saying? Mr. Jones, is that Coco's dad?"

Zuri nods in confirmation and rubs her lips inwardly before speaking again. "Yeah, so being that he was my manager, and, in a way, like my second dad, I wasn't sure if I should cross that line with her."

"So how long were you liking her for?"

"Mmmm, I always thought she was cute, but left it at that." Zuri averts her eyes and chuckles as if she just remembered something amusing. A blush coats her cheeks and neck.

"You're blushing."

"Nah."

"You are. Who approached who first?"

"She did," Zuri says with a straight face. The smile returns. "In cute, creative ways. She would give me her honest feedback on my music, my performances; she would promote me on her social media and to all her friends...we bonded because she loves music, too—"