Chapter 6: Ashes

Allan's mobile phone rang as the gang stood on the patio of an abandoned house in San Diego, California. "Hey, We're here. Are you on the way or something?" Allan asked. "No, sorry. I can't make it," Rose said. "They called me back to HQ at the last minute."

"Aw man, you were supposed to give us the tour though," whined Allan like a spoiled brat. "Well yeah, I'm pretty sure you'll have trouble finding another tour guide in San Diego," Rose smirked. "That wasn't my point man..."

Rose chuckled. "Yeah, I know. Listen, I'll give you the tour next time. With Halcyon, you never know where you're going next. We'll be coming back to California eventually anyways." Allan thought about it. "Fair enough, I should probably get going," he said. "Alright, you need to stay safe, got it?" Rose asked worriedly. "Don't you worry, I will." affirmed Allan. "Send my greetings to your brother and friends as well yeah?" "Sure."

The call disconnected.

"Who was that?" asked Lucas. He had a bowl of cereal in one hand and was walking towards Allan. Allan turned around to face his brother. "Rose," he replied coolly. "She can't give us the tour today, stop Kelvin from getting changed." Lucas laughed. "You think he's awake?" As soon as Lucas finished his sentence, He felt a gun being pointed at his head.

"Twitch and you're dead."

Lucas wanted to turn around. But he knew he couldn't. If he turned around, he'd be shot. "Don't think we've met before," the man said, eyeing both Lucas and Allan. "I'm Jackdaw."

"Look, we're busy today," said Lucas calmly. "If you're here to kill both of us, can we reschedule?" Jackdaw smiled. "You've got nerve, kid. But no. I'm not here to kill you. Today. I just need you and your squad to deliver a message to The Director for me. Tell him I haven't forgotten. Tell him Phoenix is coming."

Allan snorted. "Is that all? Why don't you tell him yourself? I'm sure he'd love to hear from you." It was Jackdaw's turn to snort. "You know, I used to be like you. Followed every order. Did all The Director's dirty work."

"What's your point?" Lucas asked, genuinely confused. "Well, they gave me a bullet for my service. What a great gift," Jackdaw said sarcastically. "So, take some friendly advice, kids..." he looked as if he were about to go into something deep. "Get out of Halcyon while you still can. While you're still breathing."

Jackdaw then disappeared.

"That was scary," said Allan. Too right, agreed Lucas. We'd better fill in the rest on what's going on," Lucas announced, forgetting his bowl of cereal on the floor. The brothers then took a leisurely stroll back into the house, as the sun began to peak over the city of San Diego.