Chapter 10: Dedication

2018-3-1  Crown Lake

"How did we get here?"

Allan, Lucas, Skylar and Kelvin were at Crown Lake with Wren.

"What do you mean?" Wren asked, confused.

"What kind of life choices do you have to make," Skylar started. "To get to where we're standing right now?" 

Wren sighed. "Does it really matter?" "Well, to some people it does," sighed Lucas.

Wren snorted. "Do you regret the choices you've made?"

Allan looked up from his book. "Do you?" 

Wren sighed again. "I've been with Halcyon for 11 years. They sent me to spy, steal and kill. I don't regret any of it thus far."

"Do you want to know why we're here? Because someone betrayed us." Wren's face turned dark as he said that. 

Lucas's eyes opened wide. "Must be Jackdaw."

"Yeah," Skylar commented. "Nobody's ever told us, what exactly did he do?"

"He...attacked us. Killed our people. Crippled the organization."

Kelvin looked confused. "Why though?"

Wren snorted. "Look at my face. Do I look like I give a shit? I got orders to treat him to an early grave. And that's what I'm going to do. Tonight."

Allan sighed. "Fair enough, I guess..."

Wren looked at the hole that the gang dug. "The hole should be deep enough, lets get on with it." 

Lucas looked confused. "So, who's in the bag?"

Wren snorted. "More traitors. People who thought they could sell our secrets to Phoenix. We found them, though."

Wren raised a pistol. 

"We always find them."

Before The gang could tell each other to run, Wren was already firing his shots. 

"Argh!" Kelvin cried as he was shot in the chest.

"Oof!" Skylar flopped to the ground. 

"NOOOOOOO!" Allan screamed at the top of his lungs. A shot raced in his direction. 

It was as if everything was in slow motion yet again. 

"Stop!" Lucas jumped in front of Allan. The shot hit Lucas in the chest. 

"NOOOOOO! LUKEY!!!!!!" Allan cried in despair. Wren fired another shot, and it hit Allan in the stomach. "The word is out," Wren lamented. "Your squad is compromised." He began to raise the pistol yet again. "Nothing personal."

Allan's eyes slowly drifted shut. 

A gunshot.

Another gunshot. 

Allan opened his eyes. He was still alive. However, this was hardly the same for Wren, he was lying face down beside him. He felt his eyes drift shut again. 

"Beep....Beep..." 

Allan opened his eyes. He was on a hospital bed in a hospital somewhere downtown. The first thing he saw when he opened his eyes was Jackdaw. He was sitting on a chair across from Allan's bed.

Allan opened his mouth to speak. "You."

"Yeah. Me." Jackdaw replied without missing a beat. "You're welcome."

"Save it." Allan felt his eyes drifting shut again. "I don't want to hear it."

Jackdaw sighed. "Fine. Get some rest. We've got work to do."