Chapter 9: The Lakehouse

2018-2-23   Lake Huron, Michigan

"That's the house. Get inside and-" Wren was briefing the team on their new mission.

"My team is the best, Wren. We know the drill, sit back and let us do our job." Rose retorted. 

"...Fine."

The gang were on their newest mission. To gather intel on Halcyon's enemy, Phoenix, at a lakehouse in Michigan. "It looks like a regular holiday chalet," Skylar said in disgust. "Are you sure there's something hidden here?" 

Rose snorted. "If this is a holiday chalet, can you explain those guards patrolling over there?" She pointed to a few Phoenix operatives on guard at the patio of the house. "Whatever Phoenix is doing in there, They want it hidden. Scout it out and shut them down," Rose said, clenching her fist. 

"Have to say, Phoenix did a good job on this house," Allan commented as the boat pulled up to the lakehouse. "Less yapping, more crime!" Lucas said. 

The gang began to suit and gear up. "I don't think this is wise," Allan said. "Oh, for- Don't be such a party-pooper, Allan." Skylar rolled his eyes. "Hey! You're not allowed to call him that. I'm the only one who can call him that," Lucas retorted from the other end of the boat. "Okay, okAY," grunted Skylar. You don't need to throw a fit about it. 

Lucas looked like he'd fight Skylar if they didn't have other problems. "Uh, guys? Please calm down...?" Kelvin tried to get the two 'tigers' to make peace. "Forget them, Kelvin..." Allan shook his head. It took the gang 10 minutes to gear up, and Lucas's and Skylar's flaring tempers didn't help one bit. "Alright," Rose said, still sounding as excited as ever. "Get in there and get out with the intel!" 

"Alright, let's go." Lucas and Skylar's tempers had returned to normal by the time it was time to begin the infiltration. They both looked pretty excited to finish the mission. "The doors and windows are alarmed," Wren said. "Find a way to shut them off." "Hey, that's MY line!" growled Rose angrily over the headset. Allan tried to shut himself off from the fighting Wren and Rose. 

"Aha! Found it!" Kelvin was pointing at a power box mounted guiltily on the side wall of the lakehouse. "Fantastic. Let's put a hole in their fancy security system." Rose sighed. "Rose, I-" "For god's sake, Wren... can you just SHUT UP??" Lucas heard Wren sighing. He knew it was a bad idea for The Director to let the two of them coordinate the mission. "They fight like starving boars," muttered Allan, trailing behind Lucas. 

Kelvin got to work rewiring the power box. "Got it!" he said after a while. "Good," Rose nodded. "Now find a way in." 

"Psst! Guys! Over here!" Skylar whispered as he pointed at a door. A lone Phoenix operative was standing guard near the door. "Let's take him out," Kelvin whispered evilly. Lucas agreed. He stepped out of the hiding spot and took the Phoenix operative hostage. "Any secrets you guys hiding in here?" Lucas asked with a smug look on his face. 

Even after a rolling interrogation of 15 minutes, Lucas was still unable to get anything related to the lakehouse. "We still have to go in," Lucas sighed. Kelvin nodded. He began to pick the lock of one of the house doors. "Let's go!" He stepped inside the house. 

An alarm began to blare. 

"What the...?" Lucas spluttered. "I thought you rewired the box!" He shouted at Kelvin. "Well, I may have messed up the blue and red wires..." Kelvin said sheepishly. "For crying out loud, why the hell-" Skylar facepalmed. "I'm hearing alarms," Rose winced. "What is going ON out there?" "No worries, its under control," Allan lied. 

"My guess is that they have all the info we need in the basement." Lucas mused. All the Phoenix operatives were turning vicious with their guns out. "We need to hold them off!" Allan shouted as guns began to fire. "Allan, get to work on that door." Lucas eyed a heavy blast door in the corner of the house. He then whipped out his guns. "Cool SMG," Skylar said, getting out his guns. "Thanks, but now's not the time for this."