Chapter 12: Retribution

2018-5-2   Unknown Location

A van pulled up to the front of a log cabin.

"I want to reach out to Rose." Allan came out of the cabin.

Jackdaw got out of the van. "You can't," he sighed. 

"Why not?" Lucas asked. He and Skylar had come out to join the group.

"Jackdaw, we trust her," Skylar persuaded. "And she could help us."

"That's right, even if she hates you, she won't betray us." Kelvin added, emerging from the house with a chocolate bar. 

Jackdaw sighed. He slowly walked up to the porch of the cabin. Allan looked at him, as if daring him to say something. 

"Did she ever tell you I trained her?" Jackdaw asked. "Her and Wren both."

This came as a surprise to Allan and his friends, as it would to the rest of the world. The pair had never betrayed for a moment that they knew each other.

Jackdaw wasn't finished. "Now Wren...that little psychopath. Shot me in the back the second he got orders. Rose saved my life." He looked troubled.

"But...Wait..." Skylar spluttered, trying to make sense of it all.

Jackdaw closed his eyes. he sighed painfully. 

"Follow me."

A while later, the gang made it to their destination.

"...What is this..." Kelvin asked, confused.

"She worked for us. She was the best informant we had." Jackdaw looked like he was about to go into something deep. "They found out, though..."

"Jackdaw...What is this?" Lucas asked, slightly irritated.

"Its not much, but...I hope she would have liked it. I tried to pick...a good spot. Somewhere with nice sunsets." 

There was a moment of silence as everyone looked straight at the grave.

"...You got her killed." Allan whispered menacingly, glaring daggers at Jackdaw.

"We all make our own choices, kid..." Jackdaw's voice trailed off. "She knew what she was doing."

Jackdaw looked at the group. "You have two choices. One, you can stand here and blame me. Two, you can help destroy the people responsible."

There was another long moment of silence as everyone thought about it.

"We'll help you kill Halcyon," Lucas said. "But after that... All of us are going to have a long chat, old man." 

Jackdaw winced. "Assuming that means we are all still alive...I'm looking forward to it."

Kelvin sighed. "Come on, lets just go back to our cabin." 

Allan continued staring at the grave. So did Lucas.

"Rose....You can't be dead...this is not how the story is supposed to end!"

"Yes it is. She's dead and we can't do anything about it. C'mon, let's go."