73.

Songs:

Bloodsport - Raleigh Ritchie

Elaine's POV

"Order whatever your hearts desire tonight," the waiter tells us before turning to speak to Alice. "Your other party couldn't make it so it's on him."

"Oh," Alice says.  "Did he say why?"

"Sorry, he did not," he explains, genuinely apologetic. "I'm sure he had good reason."

"What a jerk," Alice murmurs, purposely loud enough for all of us to hear. "Order anything you what. Double it. Don't hold back."

I muster up the best smile I can even when I'm swallowing the lump in the back of my suddenly dry throat. 

I should be relieved, happy, exhilarated. There's no awkward conversation. There's no having to feel uncomfortable and nervous. But most importantly, there's no chance he'll ever figure out about Charlotte.

But deep down, somewhere, I know I feel disappointment overshadowing everything else. And I hate myself for it.

She smirks and opens the menu. "Let's make him regret ditching me on my birthday."

"It's your birthday?" I ask, even though it's obvious what the answer was.

"Yep."

"Happy birthday," I sympathize. Chris does too.

"I'll take the most expensive dish you have," Chris orders first, quickly closing up his menu.

"I think that's a lovely idea. I'll do that as well," Alice goes along. They both stare at me with wide, expectant eyes, awaiting my order.

Should I go along with that bandwagon? 

For the past years that I've been in New York, I have never spent more than twenty dollars on a meal. 

They continue to stare and I cave.

"Me too," I mumble, handing the menu over to the waiter. Alice and Chris applauds me in encouragement, and I feel a little less guilty.

"He always does this," she tells us, even though it's guided towards me more, for consolation.

"Does what?" Chris asks.

"When he's somewhere for business related purposes, it's as if nobody else exists.  Only him and his laptop."

What does he do now?  I so terribly wanted to ask her.   What kind of business?

There were so many questions I had for her, but it was only about him.  I selfishly wanted to know about him yet for all I know, he probably doesn't even want to see me, granted, even know how I've been living.

I couldn't ignore the growing void in my chest as dinner carried on. Alice and Chris were the only ones to make conversation while I was only motivated to comment every so often.  It was so obvious they had an instant connection. Fleeting, innocent glances here and there, nervous chuckles, flushed faces, the whole new crush ordeal. And I was kind of uncomfortable even though he wasn't present.

After dinner, Alice suggests we have a few drinks. Glancing at my watch, I realize that I should probably go and pick up Charlotte.