CHAPTER 1 - CHALLENGE ACCEPTED I

LUCAS

DESTINY IS A STUPID FORCE THAT MAKES THIS WORLD SPIN.
Today was the first day of the school year here in Eye of the Cognizance (EoC), a prestigious school here in Manila. I was one of the lucky students who got the highest marks on the aptitude test given by the school during enrollment.

I was currently sitting on my armchair, watching the rain pour from the sky, while my teacher explained to us how we should introduce ourselves.

I continued ignoring my surroundings when the newly arrived student spoke in front. "Good morning everyone, my name is Athena Grace Tabernero, I am from Quezon City and I hope all of you still remember me from last year."

I slowly lifted my head up and saw a girl, about my age, with a wide smile on her pretty face. Her dark brown hair cascaded down her shoulders, highlighting her pale skin, and she had pretty chocolate brown eyes with black rimmed glasses.

Since first day of school palang, hinayaan kami na magsuot ng civilian up until two weeks pero si Athena? Siya lang ang naka-uniform sa amin.

She was wearing the school uniform properly. Skirt is three inches above the knee, just the right length. She also had her vest, her blazer which was buttoned, and her symmetrical ribbon. She had white socks on and black shoes.

"Wow, pare, ilang beses ko na nakita si Athena pero...chicks pa rin!" bulong ng lalaking nasa likuran ko.

"Oo nga, bro, hindi pa rin kumukupas ang ganda ni Athena." Bulong naman ng isa.

Remember what I said about how destiny is being such a butthole? This is one of the many reasons why.

She was the girl I ran into the library last week. The one that complained kasi 'hindi ko daw siya sinalo'.

Athena was also one of the people who played a great role on my past, one of the people who I tried to run away from. Pero tama sila, kahit saan ka man mag-tago, may makakahanap pa rin sayo.

That's the reason why she took off once I introduced myself in the library.

Matagal na kaming hindi nagkita ni Athena, mga limang taon na rin siguro. Matapos ng gabing iyon ay hindi na kami nagkita dahil balita ko ay pumunta na daw sila ng tatay niya sa Spain.

"Iyan lang ba ang masasabi mo, Athena?" Mrs. Basco asked and our classmate nodded. "Alright, you may sit next to..." Mrs. Basco squinted her eyes around the classroom to see a vacant seat. Oh dear Lord! Why did I choose to sit at the table without anyone on my side? "Why don’t you sit next to that handsome lad over there?" Mrs. Basco decided, looking at me.

Nagtama ang mga mata naming ni Athena at nawala ang ngiti sa mukha niya. I can't blame her. Even I am surprised about this. But she recovered from her shock quickly and walked towards the seat beside me.

She sat down on my left, next to me, her shoulders suddenly tensed. I didn't know how to start a conversation with her so I remained silent habang tinatali niya yung buhok niya into a ponytail. We watched as the teachers called out more pupils to introduce themselves in front.

It's funny to think that friendship, no matter how strong the bond is, won't last forever. The bond that connected us was cut off, or rather, fired off by that bullet that destroyed our lives.

We were once friends, now we're back on being strangers. Yung tipong walang kibuan, walang usapan, katahimikan lang.

"You didn't die." she broke the silence after what if seems like forever.

"That's obvious." sagot ko naman, "Ikaw din. You still remember me?"

I saw a smile that tugged from the corner of her mouth, but her eyes were still fixed on the students in front. "I do. How are you, Lucas? How's your life been?" she asked quietly.