Chapter Eight

To Kora’s disappointment, the group hadn’t stayed at the mall to play at the arcade or buy new clothing and jewelry. Instead, they had hurried out of there, going to Kora’s house. Because so many people were going missing they had to be sure that her family was safe. But what would they do to protect them? Stay outside all through the night? She verbalized these questions and the three decided it would be wiser to seek help, causing Kora to change direction as they headed back toward the cave.

“Who should go in?” Avalon asked, looking at the other two. “Because, in all honesty, any of us would be risking our necks by going in there.”

“She has a point,” Calanon commented under his breath, looking annoyed. There were a few moments of silence that passed slowly before he finally decided. “I’ll go in.” Kora began to protest, but Sahale rested her hand on Kora’s arm and shook her head. There was that proud look in her eyes again as she turned back to Calanon and nodded, letting him leave the car on his own. Now the girls would have to wait for him to return.

* * *

                Calanon climbed out of the car, his heart pounding slightly faster than it normally would. He didn’t know how he was going to succeed in doing this, or how many were in the cave at the moment, but he hoped it wasn’t too many. He refused to glance back at the car as if that would be a sign of weakness or hesitation.

                Sliding down the steep hill that led into the cave, he became wary in the dim light, as he usually did when he was here. He never knew who to trust. Cautiously, he made his way through the first set of doors that he knew led into the meeting room. Luckily, nobody was here. He breathed out a sigh of relief and jogged to the next door, pulling it open with a little more work, like Kora had done in the beginning. He remembered her well, having followed her to pretend that he had caught her so the others wouldn’t slaughter her. At least he could have pride in saving one human. It hadn’t just been luck on her side. He remembered waiting in the shadows, watching her press her whole body against this same door, fighting for her survival. Honestly, he admired that about her. She was brave and smart in these situations. She was wise in decision making as she always seemed to think things through, even if she were just a mere human. It honestly made him wonder what else she was capable of doing for herself. He’d seen her move more quickly than he’d expect of any human as she used her chains to force that coward, Adanion, to help release her. That, he had to admit, was the most impressive thing he had ever seen a human do.

                “Calanon?” a woman’s voice echoed through the next room. It was impossible for him to see who he was talking to from the terrible lighting, but the voice was familiar. “What are you doing here? You’re banned from this place, traitor.”

                Calanon cursed himself mentally as he searched for her name in his mind. “Thana?”

                The woman hissed in response. “Don’t you dare tint my name, you snake.”

                “You know I can’t turn my back on Sahale,” Calanon told her, searching the darkness blindly. “She took me in and raised me.”

                “Out of pity!” Thana screeched. “That woman thinks she’s a goddess; like she can save or kill anyone she pleases to.”

                “That’s not true,” Calanon argued. But maybe he spoke too soon, he realized. A thought appealed to him as she spoke once more.

                “It isn’t? Because last time I checked, she abandoned us. And for who? Humans?” Her voice was shrill with anger.