Chapter Eleven

It was quite sudden, but a flash of light hit Sahale’s eyes. She stared at it blankly. Have you finally come for me? She questioned, her thoughts echoing once more. However long she had been waiting, even a few moments felt like an eternity to her. She wasn’t sure how long she had been dead, but she was sure everyone was missing her still. Absently, while she floated there staring at the white light, her hand rested over her stomach. The stab wound was no longer there, and she had no feeling of the pain. She closed her eyes. She would let the light engulf her so she would return home with her mother and father. They would be so happy to see her.

Through her eyelids, the bright light kept getting brighter. Suddenly she was breathing once again. But why would I need air when I’m returning home? Sahale’s eyes fluttered open. The bright light was still shining brightly on her face, but now it was irritating. She closed her eyes again, preferring the dark world she had before.

“Calanon.” She heard a familiar voice echo around her. “Calanon, she’s awake. They did it!”

Kora, Sahale remembered. Why is she here?

“Sahale.” Another familiar voice echoed. “Sahale.” Calanon.

With that final realization, it was as if she had been caught in an ocean, drowning. It was tossing her back onto the beach now, leaving her to cough and sputter, choking for air. Her arms reached out wildly, flailing.

Two warm, firm, soft hands grasped her wrists. “Sahale,” Calanon said gently. Sahale’s eyes fluttered open to the view of his beautiful, familiar face. Her breathing became normal after a few minutes of simply gazing into his eyes like he did with her. He was there to protect her and make sure that she lived. His being there was the only thing that she needed to stay calm.

“Calanon,” she mumbled. “But how?” She looked around the room. Kora was standing beside the bed with her arms crossed over her chest, hugging herself as she cried. Sahale reached out to her with one hand, but paused. She saw that Kora was smiling as she cried, obviously relieved. Sahale smiled back at her and rested against her new human friend. She had never thought that it would be possible, but it was happening now.

“We brought you to the hospital after the dwarves pulled the sword and patched you up,” Avalon’s choked voice answered from the side of the room. Sahale turned to her friend and smiled again. Now they were all embracing her as she sat on the patient’s bed.

The doctor tapped on the door before he walked inside. “Good to see you’re awake, Miss Sky, but you will be needing more rest.” He gave the three visitors a look before he nodded toward the door. However, only Avalon and Kora left, glancing back at Sahale one last time.

“How long?” Sahale asked after a moment, placing her hand over her stomach.

“Only for a week,” Calanon answered softly, placing his hand gently on her cheek. He had never acted this way with her. Sahale looked up into his eyes. “You should be fully recovered in a few more days, naturally. The doctors are baffled by your miraculous ability to heal faster than normal humans.” He smiled a little, but sobered quickly. His thumb stroked her cheek a few times, giving Sahale a feeling that she hadn’t felt since she was young.

“Calanon…” For the first time in ages and ages, she blushed. Slowly and cautiously, the young man that she had raised for so many years leaned forward and pressed his lips against hers. His hand didn’t move from her cheek. Sahale was surprised by her reaction, but she didn’t argue with what she felt. She placed her hand on his cheek as well and kissed him back. For the few moments that their lips were touching, she could remember the sensation of love.