Ch. 21

"Little bird? I'm going to need you to wake up now."

His voice was creeping into my barley awake brain, but it was spreading all throughout my body. Like my own personal antidote. I felt him run his fingers up and down my arms, it was exhilarating, and every part of my body felt like it was coming back alive from the brink of death just by his touch.

"I see you responding to my touch, please open your eyes..." he whispered.

I was helpless to refuse him, knowing what he was to me. My eyes fluttered open, the light was painful and I needed to blink multiple times to gain focus so I could begin taking in the room around me, it was white, it smelled sterile, of antiseptic- it made me want to gag.

I looked over to my left and I saw Sebastian, elbows on the bed, face much too close and yet not close enough. "How long have I been out?" my voice came out hoarse and it was painful to talk.

"Almost two weeks."

"Two weeks??" I tried to scream but it came out as a whisper. Panic incased me.

"Hey, you're okay. The doctors think it was some residual magic infusing with your blood, they casted a sleeping spell on you to help you through the transition, that's the only reason why you were out for so long." His strong voice soothed me, but it had a hint of irritation to it.

I looked at him, unsure if I should tell him what we was to me. I knew I wouldn't be able to stay away from him. "You're my soulmate."

His handsome face distorted in pain and just like that it was gone a stone cold mask in its place.

"I know."

"Look, I know I'm new to all this, but we can figure it out together." I reached up to touch his face- offer him some reassurance and hopefully gain some in return.

"No, we can't."

Confusion overcame me, "what do you mean, we can't?"

"I don't want you."

"You...don't want me?" My hand dropped from his face.

He laughed, it was emotionless and cruel, "Want you? No. You were merely a game to me, a conquest. In some cruel twist of fate you've gone and bound yourself to me, probably because I'm next in line to rule." He sneered.

"Me? To you? I don't know anything about magic!" "Why are you even here then? Why did you even want me to wake up? You can go."

He clicked his tongue "You must have done something, I see your soulmate mark, but I bare none. However I can feel your emotions as though they were my own, which was the only detection that you were bound to me. I'm here because while you've been asleep I've been taking samples of your blood to undue this travesty. I figured we could take it together, one last hurrah before we put this mess behind us."

I gapped at him, I couldn't even wrap my brain around everything that has happened since I've been here. Did I want to bind myself to someone who doesn't want me? I was a joke to him. A "conquest". Bile rose in my throat.

"Okay, hand me the vile." I reached out my hand. If I didn't know any better I could have sworn I saw Sebastian hesitate, but almost as soon as the thought entered my mind, the vile was placed in my hands.

"Bottoms up little bird, bottoms up." He clanked his vile against mine, just as I was about to tip the vile in, I heard Helen. How could I have not checked on her? Relief flooded through me the second I felt her.

You mustn't take that Charlee. You are exceptionally strong to have been able to survive the soulmate mark, drinking that will destroy you.

How come he doesn't feel it? Why is he doing this?

Sebastian has been learning to use and control his magic since before he could walk. The soulmate bond has started, but isn't spreading as quickly because he is resisting. In order for that potion to work, you both must take it. That's why he is here, to make sure you take it.

He's right here Helen, he will notice if I don't.

You must make him leave after you take it, I have a plan.

"What's the holdup?" His stare pointed and deadly.

"Am I not allowed a moment's hesitation before I severe this and change everything?"

"No, I was never yours to be given. Do I make myself clear?"

"Crystal clear, like glass, or maybe poison instead? Feel free to get the fuck out of my room Sebastian, you won't be wanted anymore." I brought the vile to my mouth and tipped it back.

"Its clear mommy dearest never taught you proper manners either." He looked at me with disgust as he stormed out.

I waited until he was out of sight- I rushed to the bathroom in my tiny hospital room and spit it the contents into the toilet.

This will be unpleasant Charlee, but I'm going to make you throw up to make sure we've gotten it all

I broke out in a cold sweat as the room began to spin, I felt nauseous and my stomach rolled, spewing what little contents I had left in my system all into the toilet. I slid down to my knees and rested my head on them, what do I do now?

Helen, mind telling me why we couldn't take that? He doesn't want to be with me, clearly.

I knew it the moment I smelled him Charlee, he is our rider.

Fuck me.