5

Suddenly, a hand on my shoulder. I turned, expecting to see Calico, as I had for years in the dream. But instead I saw the face of Spot Conlon.

And so I began my first day of waitressing.

*****************************************************************************

I dropped part of my week's pay into a metal can and pushed it under my bed. It had been two weeks since I had started working at Tibby's, and so far I was still living in the Brooklyn Lodging House. At this rate it would be a while until my brother and I could buy a place to be together. Suddenly a voice rang out below.

"Wheah's me sistah?"

Liam? What was he doing here?

"Eva!" He burst into the room, getting tangled up in the curtain that separated the girls and boys bunks. "Deah's an open bunk in da lodgin' house, one o' da boys' Pa got a job an' dey moved, youse can come ta 'Hatten!"

Despite myself I squealed.

"An' it'll be closah ta Tibby's an' everythin'." Blink said jubilantly.

"An' we'll be together." I beamed.

"An' we'll be togethah." My brother repeated.

*****************************************************************************

...2 months later...

The dream rarely came now. When it did, Calico's face was usually replaced by Spot's. And I was no closer than ever to figuring out what it meant. I got up that morning the same I did every day. Rolling out of bed, avoiding Mush's flirting-

"Enjoyin' da view toots?" he asked as he pulled his shirt on over his head.

"Not particularly," I replied, fed up with him, and resolved to do something about it-

But today was a little different. Blink was upset this morning, more than usual. About what I didn't know. And he wouldn't tell me. I was off work that day and the next; Tibby's was closed for the owner's birthday. So I asked to come sell papers with him, help him out a little. But he wouldn't let me.

"Please Liam?"

"I toldja don't call me dat 'round heah."

"Please Blink?"

"No. Youse ain't sellin' wit' me, an' dat's final. Ise'll be back soon, just wait foah me."

"Please?" I tried one more time.

"Aw, go steal Conlon's cane, Eva." Blink called over his shoulder as he left the lodging house.

I had been around the 'Hatten newsies enough to know that 'steal Conlon's cane' was an expression they used for 'go away'. But it gave me an idea. Why shouldn't I try? Far as I knew, nobody had done it. Living with the boys had changed me; I was no longer as timid as I had been before. And I hadn't been back to Brooklyn since I left their Lodging House all those months ago.

"Alright then, that's what I'll do." I announced to the air before grabbing a spare newsie cap, tucking my hair into it- I reckon I'd be safer dressed as a boy- and after taking care of some personal business I headed towards the bridge.

I crossed the bridge with no challengers; the Brooklyn newsies were out there carryin' the banner same as the Manhattan ones. Spot was on his perch on the old wooden crates stacked near the dock. I crept in the shadows around the boxes before hoisting my way up until I was behind Spot. I paused for a second. Was he- was he- Spot Conlon was asleep on the job! He was snoring softly, slumped with his chin on his hands, his newsies cap nearly falling off. I nearly laughed out loud. This was going to be easier than I thought. Carefully I eased the cane out of his pants loop. Just as I had worked it free Spot sat up straight.