Chapter 3

"Come on, everyone is going to leave without us."

Jumping in your seat, you looked up to see Jin leaning against your desk right next to you. You blinked a few times, glancing at the screen of the computer facing you then back to Jin's smiling face and you realised that you must have been so absorbed in the document you were working on to realise his appearance. Looking at the time at the bottom left corner of the computer, you also saw that it was already time for lunch.

However, you hadn't even made it halfway through the workload you intended to finish by the end of the day, so you turned to Jin to decline his invitation. "Sorry, Jin, I need to finish this by today so I'll probably eat later."

"So this is the project that you and Jungkook were working on a few weeks ago, huh?" Jin pushed himself off the table to get a better look at what you were working on.

"Mm-hmm." You nodded while trying not to let your giddiness show. Against all odds, the proposal that you presented when Jungkook was on leave was approved. When discussions to start the project began, Jungkook had magnanimously suggested that you head the project, and before you knew it, you were leading for the first time in your life.

While you were extremely grateful for the opportunity, part of you wondered if it had been undeserved. As usual, when in doubt you consulted Jungkook for his opinion. He had sternly reminded you that most of the ideas for the project were yours and that you deserved it more than he did. Between Jungkook and encouragement from your colleagues, you became psyched for the project, and determined to show what you were capable of.

Therefore, it was with a smile that you reminded Jin, "I'm staying, but you're going to be left behind, you know."

At your warning, he turned towards the lift with a start. The others had already filed into the metal box and the door was about to close. "Wait!" He ran towards them, waving his arm frantically to ask one of them to press the 'open doors' button. When the doors slid open fully, he twisted his upper body to yell at you, "I'll get something for you to eat, okay y/n?"

You just nodded and waved him off gratefully, watching him enter the lift and apologise to the occupants as the doors glided towards each other and they disappeared from your sight. With a small sigh you swivelled in your chair to face the computer again. The office was silent save for the tapping on your keyboard, with everyone gone out for lunch except you and... your eyes travelled up to look at the office in front of you.

Jungkook had been busier than you were these past two weeks. You wondered how he coped with the amount of work, but he rarely seemed very tired or stressed, always remaining cheerful with a constant smile gracing his handsome face, which became warmer when it was directed towards you. Although it had been a while since you got to talk to him about matters unrelated to work – since that tryst in the handicapped bathroom, actually – he had made sure to remind you of his affections whenever he could; a squeeze of your hand when he sat next to you in meetings, a cup of long black on your desk when he knew you had a long day ahead, countless small gestures to remind you that you were special to him.

A part of you worried that he wasn't taking care of himself, but then you told yourself, Who am I to talk? I'm skipping lunch right now. As if reiterating that thought, your stomach rumbled embarrassingly. Luckily the only one around was Jungkook, and he couldn't have heard the sound. Deciding that you needed something to fortify yourself before Jin came back with your meal, you propelled yourself up and marched towards the pantry.

Two pieces of biscuit paired with a cup of hot chocolate later, you decided that you had enough to keep you going for the time being. However, as you were rinsing your cup, any thoughts of work disappeared when a pair of arms snaked around your waist and your nostrils were filled with a familiar scent that accompanied the nose that sniffed at your neck.