[chapter thirty-seven] beth

_________________________________________

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN // BETH
"LOOKS LIKE I
FOUND YOU, HUH?"

______________________________________________________________

*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙ ⁺˚*・༓☾ ☽༓・*˚⁺*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙

Carl raced out of the back room as he heard Gabriel shouting from outside the front door. The priest was banging on the door as he pleaded with them to open it, his voice frantic and shaky as Carl and Michonne neared the door. The teen immediately began pulling on the board he and Michonne had previously nailed to the door, unable to get it off with his bare hands.

"Get back." Michonne ordered as she raised an ax into the air before repeatedly slamming it onto the wood, slowly breaking it apart as Gabriel's screams grew louder. As the wood was almost fully broken apart Carl raised his gun ready to protect Michonne, Judith, Gabriel, and himself from however many walkers were waiting outside the door.

Once Michonne had fully broken the board, Carl unlocked the door, quickly opening it before ushering Gabriel into the building. Gabriel rushed into the church, his hands tightly gripping one of the makeshift spikes they had taken from the organ. Carl fired his gun at two walkers, nailing them in the head as they tried to enter the church.

Michonne ordered for Carl to get back as she unsheathed her sword, Judith safely stowed away in her carrier that was strapped onto the womans back.

More walkers flooded into the church wanting to get their cold, dead, hands on their warm, living, breathing, bodies.

"The rectory, come on!" Gabriel instructed, his voice still shaking as he spoke due to his near-death experience. Carl and Michonne swiftly followed after him, Michonne facing towards the walkers to keep Judith safe from harm.

Gabriel tried to slammed the door shut, only for the walkers hands to stop it as they wedged themselves in between the door and the doorframe. Michonne pulled a chair to the door as Gabriel leaned on it, trying his best to close it, Carl keeping his gun aimed at the door.

"That's how I got out. Crawl under to get to the back. Just go. Take the little one and go." Gabriel explained, as though he was ready to sacrifice his life for them, pointing towards a hole in the floorboards.

Michonne nodded, quickly taking off the carrier they had made out of a hoodie that Judith was in before handing her off to Carl. The teen boy was the first to jump into the hole in the floor, Michonne grabbing him by the shoulder to stop him from moving.

"Hey, hey. You wait for me." Michonne ordered before moving her hand off of Carl's shoulder, allowing him to start moving towards safety.

Carl nodded as he began crawling through the enclosed space, it was dusty, dirty, cramped, and hard to get through. Especially because of the fidgeting and crying baby he had in his arms. Once he made it through the small hole in the foundation, ending up at the back of the church, Carl bounced Judith and smiled down at her, trying to get her to stop crying.

Soon enough Michonne crawled out, grinning at Carl as she stood beside him, waiting for Gabriel to come out. They stood there for a few moments before a bloody machete poked out, followed by Gabriel's head and shoulder.

The man was visibly out of breath and shaken up as he fully made it out of the crawl space. Michonne assisted him in standing up, Gabriel taking a deep breath as he did so.